Chapter 23: Ellie

"Hey James, Sarah," I greeted my fellow library information desk student workers.

James was a junior like me while Sarah was a senior who half the time acted like she was our supervisor. Her most striking feature were her green eyes which, combined with her pale skin and pixie-short, auburn-colored hair, commanded attention with just one snap of her eyes.

"Hi Ellie!" James greeted me with a wide, toothy smile. Sarah flashed a wave hello, then continued pushing a large cart of books behind the desk and in the direction of the elevator.

I worked as a part-time aide in Suzzallo and Allen Library, one of the most beautiful libraries in my biased opinion. The exterior maintained the same Gothic details as some of the other UW buildings but the interior looked straight out of JK Rowling's imagination. The upstairs reading room was literally nicknamed 'The Harry Potter Room,' with its voluminous arched ceilings, stained glass windows, and dramatic black circular chandeliers.

Since the library took my breath away every time I entered, I also held my one-on-one tutoring sessions there. At Charlie's urging, freshman year I applied for and was accepted into the Huskies' student athlete tutoring program, which is how I knew some of the guys on the football team.

The library's minimum wage pay came with long and boring hours but at least I smelled normal afterwards and did homework during the slower times. Tutoring paid three times as much per hour and involved much fewer hours but I did what I could that suppressed my mounting student debt as much as possible.

Like living in the smallest apartment Charlie could find with a giant frame football player.

"Good first week?" James asked while I slipped into the chair next to him behind the desk, then dropped its height so my feet touched the floor.

"Yup, you?" I dropped my backpack at my feet then glanced around. Usually the first week the library was quite full with activity but today looked pretty dead.

"Yeah. By the way, the football pep rally is tomorrow night." He shrugged his shoulders like he cared less.

"Oh," I replied flatly. I already knew that but was surprised Logan hadn't mentioned it to me.

Maybe he thought I wouldn't be interested but it's literally on our doorstep here.

During the football season and before every home football game, UW's massive-sized marching band and cheer squad all dressed up in their purple, white, and gold uniforms or some crazy themed costumes and paraded through the entire campus in preparation for the football game the following day. They started in the North Campus dorms then people flooded around them down the surrounding streets, danced, and sang along the way. The Husky Band played their compilation of fan's favorite songs, which included the band's dynasty song 'Tequila.' Of all places, every time they stopped on the steps of the very library James and I now stood in with a wild pep rally.

I shouldn't joke but that's the closest some of those football players get to using the library.

"So..." James ran one of his hands through his brown curls then smiled down at me. "Did you reconsider the Meany exhibit?"

"Umm..." Dr. Sterns' words about platonic dates echoed through my mind. I'd originally planned to ask Logan but the idea of a date with him intimidated me more than anyone else because he was the only guy I had any feelings for.

Maybe if I practice with James? He's just a friend, it'll help my nerves.

"Sure." I leaned on the counter and smiled. "As long as we're just going as friends, right?"