Chapter 89: Logan

Coach Vaughn had texted me Sunday morning if I was available for an earlier quarterbacks' meeting in preparation for the upcoming game against USC, so I rescheduled my post-game workout with Greg the trainer for shortly after our meeting. While she drove Harper and Mr. Reynolds to the airport, I texted Ellie so she knew my plans and she responded a few minutes later.

Ellie: Okay, thanks. I'll go to the grocery store then.

I actually liked our grocery store trips. We bought more food than two normal people, obviously because of my high calorie intake, but the domestic trips were low-key fun. Ellie always went in with a definite plan and list of ingredients and, week after week, our kitchen hadn't stood a chance when she got back and cooked up a storm.

me: I can go with you after, if you want?

Ellie: I'll be okay. Take a nap.

me: Who's going to get stuff off the high shelves for you?

Ellie: 😒
Ellie: Shouldn't joke like that with the person responsible for your food supply.

me: Husky card is on the table.

I chuckled at my phone, then turned it off and slipped it into my back pocket. After I changed into my workout gear and slipped a pair of athletic pants over my shorts, I left my Husky debit card on the dining room table like I'd promised Ellie and stepped out of the apartment.

My head shook a few times at Charlie and Wes' closed door and what happened the last time I was in there courtesy of Harper Reynolds.

Period cramp simulator. Only Harper.

None of me had also wanted to go to a party, especially one at the football house, but I went for Ellie. Once inside, I largely ignored the stares and whispers at me and Ellie, just offered a few fist bumps to the guys after our 4-0 start then pinned myself to Ellie's side like a gigantic, uncomfortable accessory.

I hadn't heard what Emmitt said to her but the sappy, heart-eyed look on his face at her, even the way he looked at where she stood outside on the front porch gnawed irritation into my stomach. His eyes were so transfixed on Ellie that he barely noticed when Harper reached out and squeezed his ass. By the way Harper's eyes locked on mine before her hand grab, I assumed she pacified the situation in her own, Harper-like way.

Tough shit for Emmitt. He's just going to have to look at Ellie like the one who got away because she's mine now.

A short drive later, Husky Stadium loomed over my truck's front windshield. Even though the parking lot was largely empty, I parked in my usual spot and walked up towards the locker room area. I reached out for the door handle when a deep, familiar voice boomed down the cement-walled hallway.

"LT!" Coach Vaughn called out to me. I turned around and caught his flashed smile of bright white teeth, even in the darker hallway.

"Hey Coach," I greeted him with a grin.

"Great work against Montana." He stuck out a hand, which I shook roughly. "Gotta bring even more against USC though."

"Yeah," I agreed, dropped his hand, and adjusted my bag's strap on my shoulder. "I want to take advantage of their switch to zone defense this year."

At least according to the internet reports I'd skimmed over last night before I passed out on Charlie's couch while the girls prepped for the party, last year the Trojans had gotten a new defensive coordinator. Their learning curve was steep and their unusual underperformance defensively had definitely caught my eye.

Under a zone defense, the defenders spread out the field and each was responsible for their own designated 'zone,' whose size and location depended on how many backfielders - mostly linebackers but also the safeties - dropped back and their starting defensive formation.