Chapter 66: Ellie

"Shit, this one's a snooze-fest," Monique groaned at the television. "Oh look, they ran for three yards again."

"They're playing a bit... conservative," I mumbled through my possibly fifth serving of carbs.

In addition to my salmon macaroni and cheese and cinnamon apples, Monique had made a loaf of homemade bread, just pure, white-flour and yeast-based, and potatoes bravas, pan-fried potatoes with a spicy tomato sauce.

Carbs aside, I was surprised at Logan's safe, almost stifled style of play. He'd definitely sucked the life out of Arizona's stadium and puzzled the game's announcers. More than once, my and Monique's eyes slid closed and our heads slacked back into her black leather sofa.

"Not as good as Toro Brava but still edible." She forked in another bite of potatoes. "They have the most amazing bacon-wrapped dates, if you ever eat your way down to Portland."

"I'll keep that in mind," I replied, sat back, and rubbed both palms over the food belly that made me glad I'd worn yoga pants. "What do you want to do for half-time?"

"We should probably walk," she groaned next to me, then pushed aside her plate. "When are you going to tell me about you two? And you'd better start with that ring around your neck."

"Right." I sighed since I'd arrived here late after my discussion with, or rather at, James. I hadn't left much room for argument, he silently nodded like a scared deer, and I left the library. I'd gotten myself so worked up that I walked from my apartment to Monique and Darrius' place. The uphill walk had burned my calves and hamstrings but the tension relief was much-needed.

Calling Logan a Neanderthal, what a jerk.

"Let's waddle." Monique pushed herself up with both her hands and a loud groan. "I need to work some of these carbs south."

"Actually..." My eyes traveled to her kitchen, where at least half our leftovers sat. "I have an idea. Let's go visit Emmitt."

"Verns?" Monique's eyebrows looked like they couldn't have lifted any higher up her forehead. "Why the hell do you want to go see him?"

"He's by himself. Let's bring him some dinner." My shoulders shrugged.

"Emmitt Verns, team fuckboy." Monique's dark brown eyes stared at me and her full lips parted. She slowly ran her tongue over them while her eyes studied mine. "You know he'll think you're bringing over your vagina, right?"

"Technically I am but he's not getting anywhere near it." I replied with a slight shake of my head. "Their house is what, three blocks away? I want to stop by my place first, pick up his Anatomy notes."

"Four," she corrected me and pulled off some aluminum foil and sealed up the first container of leftovers. "I don't like it but we should dispose of the evidence. Darrius doesn't need any of this, Momma Williams is coming up for the next two home games."

"Really?" My eyes stretched wide at that news. I wasn't surprised that Darrius' very supportive, very vocal mother would be here, but she attended the same weekend as another vocally supportive Mama Bear.

If Darrius needed any further proof of how big his heart was, how he sent his extra football stipend money home to help his mother with her bills melted my heart whenever I thought about it. In a true team effort, Monique instead footed most of their food bills on her student account while they split their rent costs in a city with an extremely high cost of living.

Which is why Charlie and I were supposed to be crammed inside a one-bedroom apartment.

Funny how things have turned out, but I'm glad they did.