Chapter 54: Ellie

After I got off the phone with Harper, I dressed for my date with Logan. I wasn't someone who owned or wore a lot of formal clothes, okay, none at all, but a quick stop at Charlie and Wes' left me with a few of Charlie's mini-dresses. They hung down to my knees, hung off me in the worst areas, and I felt like a child who wore my mom's dresses.

Since I also knew we'd be outside, I changed into a pair of comfortable, navy blue skinny jeans with a flowy, long-sleeved, paisley-patterned shirt. Feminine and pretty weren't in my usual wardrobe vocabulary, but the light pink and bright aqua colors gave the shirt a girly-enough feel.

"Not a dress, but at least I can do my hair," I mumbled at my reflection in the bathroom mirror. Normally my hair hung long and straight, but after a few grunts and slightly burned fingertips, I set it in curlers. Once I removed them and clouded myself in hairspray, my long, dark brown hair fell in soft curls.

"Let's see if this lasts through my library shift." I crossed my fingers because while the rain had stopped, the air was still very humid.

I slipped on comfortable tennis shoes since no height of heels changed my and Logan's height differences. A new, small group of people clustered on the sidewalk outside the exit doors, but I brushed through since I obviously wasn't who they looked for.

Probably in anticipation for tomorrow's game.

Once at the library, my heart rammed into my rib cage while I counted down the time before our date. My fingers tapped against the information desk and I kept getting up, paced, then sat back down until the other desk worker Sarah rolled her eyes at me. She sent me off to restack books, which kept me busy but the time dragged by endlessly.

Finally, my tall, handsome date arrived at the information desk. Even in jeans and a long-sleeved graphic shirt that brought out the blue in his eyes, my lips parted and tongue dried at the sight of him. I was thankful for the chair I sat in down because the way his mouth curled upwards and eyes focused on me, my knees probably would've given out.

"Hi Ellie." His eyes sparkled at the sight of me, well the top-half of me he probably saw from the other side of the desk. "Your hair is pretty."

My lips quirked up as his interesting choice of a compliment, but I was glad he'd noticed my extra effort, since my clothes were casual and makeup minimal. "Here for the library tour?"

"I'm actually here to check something else out," he replied in a cocky tone, leaned his elbows onto the desk, then roamed his eyes over me.

My skin warmed under his attention, particularly my cheeks, but I just flashed him a quick smile. "Tough, you're getting one anyways."

"That's our date?" He pulled back slightly. Thankfully, he didn't look disappointed, but smiled when I shook my head.

"Nope, I just need to kill some time before we need to leave for our reservation," I replied and hopped off my desk chair.

"Reservation?" His gaze intensified the closer I walked towards him, which thumped my heart louder. "Still not going to tell me where we're going?"

"To the library, duh," I teased, threaded my fingers between his, then tugged on his arm. While no part of me moved his gigantor frame, he followed silently behind me and indulged my self-guided tour.

He'll be happy with the end.

"Isn't it great?" I gasped around at the upper library space. Every time I came in here, I was enchanted. The soft filtered light under the black iron circular light fixture filled the space in a quiet, revered ambiance.

A few students studied at the big, rectangular wooden tables, but tonight the library was pretty empty. Mostly everyone here looked like tourists or graduate students, so I was thankful when Logan showed up at four today.