Chapter 110: Ellie

With our hectic schedules that inched closer to finals, Logan and I took the next three weeks one day at a time. Those three weeks unfortunately included the Huskies' first loss in an away game against Oregon State. Logan played at his same elevated skill level, the Beavers just overall played better and won 31-28. Logan arrived home with a sense of disappointment in his heavy gaze and slumped shoulders, even though he'd personally played really well. I consoled him pretty much the only way I knew how, with as many physical intimacy assurances that I knew of.

On paper, Logan was primed for not only a top-five quarterback rating, he was on pace for career-highs in touchdowns, games without an interception, and his passing percentage. All of those indicators proved UW was in fact a good fit for Logan. Huskies fans agreed by the increased call volume into his weekly radio call-in interview and ridiculous volume of fan mail my boyfriend received.

Occasionally both letters and gifts slipped through both the team's address and Logan's PO Box into our personal mailbox. My mail volume was laughably paltry in comparison but I went through everything so our bills weren't swallowed up inside his growing mountain of fan mail.

We have enough girl's underwear to start our own Victoria's Secret store.

Logan also demonstrated his heart was as big as the rest of him when he joined a few guys on the team and visited Sacred Heart Children's Hospital in Spokane. The quiet, unannounced visit made a big impact on Logan, since he arrived home with a silent, weighed down conscience, wrapped his arms around me within two steps past the front door, and relayed stories of the small heroes he'd met with glossed over eyes.

Game-wise, the Huskies rebounded on the road against Arizona State and crushed Stanford at home where the only out of character occurrence was Emmitt sat in the stands in the row ahead of me and Monique for the second half of the game. I hadn't even noticed his presence until Monique pointed him out, kept one eye on him the rest of the game, and possibly threatened she'd sic Darrius on him if he got out of line.

In what felt like an eye blink, UW stood atop the PAC-12 at 7-1 and we headed towards not only Thanksgiving but also the Black Friday afternoon game against Cal. A bye week and three games made up the rest of the regular season. With an adorable grin, Logan informed me Wednesday morning during breakfast that some bowl game scouts planned to attend Friday's game.

The day before the Cal game though, Logan and I walked down the hallway for our makeshift Thanksgiving brunch with our closest friends in Wes and Charlie's apartment. Once we got there, Monique flung open the door so hard I was surprised it stayed on its hinges, then thrust her left hand at my face.

"Ahhh!!!" She and I traded simultaneous screams at the gigantic, princess-cut diamond that sat over a gold band on her left ring finger.

I shoved the spinach salad I carried into Logan's hands behind me and squeezed my arms tightly around Monique's neck. At the sight of the large smile over her shoulder, I squealed out, "Darrius!!"

"Finally got the hint, Miss Ellie," he said in his low, sweet voice.

"Congrats." I squeezed my newly engaged friend again, pulled back, and held the tips of Monique's fingers while I inspected the ring. "It's gorgeous."

"It was Momma Williams," Monique replied with absolute stars in her brown eyes and extra glow in her usually flawless skin. Her gaze dropped to her ring as the smile never left her lips, "Well, the diamond. Had to get a different band, Momma's fingers are a bit stubbier."

"How did Momma take the news?" I finally stepped inside, where I quickly hugged my arms as far around Darrius' big frame as they fit.

"Fine," his deep, honey-like voice coated my ears as he warmly hugged me back. "As long as we get married under the same magnolia tree she and Daddy were married under, she's cool."