Chapter 28: Logan

"Cockblocker," I muttered to myself as I closed the apartment door behind me and met Wes' impatient eye gaze. I closed my eyes and took a few deep breaths so the faster heart beats in my chest calmed down, along with the desire that flamed in my groin.

Almost.

As much as I hated how our almost-kiss had been interrupted, I knew, deep down, that ideally Ellie and I needed the air of our past cleared before we acted on our obvious attraction. On his broken record streak, Wes pulled his ear buds out and prompted me, "Apologize to her yet, bro?"

I was positive that Wes and Charlie didn't know the entire story of why Ellie and I broke up, a self-sacrifice move on Ellie's part like she hadn't wanted me dragged down into her depression. Under the NDA, she wasn't allowed to share any details from her assault outside her therapist, and neither was I.

While I sympathized with the shitty situation she'd been trapped in, I wished she hadn't made the decision that ended our relationship for me.

If any situation like that ever arises again, I'm not going to let her push me away.

I planned to share none of these sentiments with Wes, so for now I just let him think I'd screwed up so badly that Ellie had broken up with us and promised, "We're going to talk Sunday."

"Let me guess, she didn't want to distract your game," he threw me a half-grin while we climbed down the stairs.

"Yeah," I admitted and wondered how he knew that.

"Trust me, do it sooner than later," he called over his shoulder while our feet pounded down the steps.

"What?"

"Check the group chat," was all he replied when the sight of Charlie parked in Wes' car came into view. She'd pulled right up into the sidewalk and I took the seat behind her since I assumed Wes pushed the shotgun seat back.

"Hi Charlie," I greeted her and slammed the door shut.

"Hey babe." Wes sat down and kissed Charlie slowly, then pulled his seat back right when I looked away uncomfortably. "Thanks for the ride."

"No problem," Charlie replied with a smile, then shifted her greeting towards me. "Hey Logan."

"Since this is your first rally, we'll probably catch up with everyone on Greek Row, after the North campus dorms," Wes informed me, with a quick look at Charlie, who nodded in confirmation and then drove off towards Huskies Stadium.

"Who's everyone?" I leaned forwards slightly and looked at Wes.

He grinned over his shoulder at me and only offered, "You'll see. It ends at the library where Ellie works so we'll meet up with her and go home together afterwards."

"Speaking of Ellie, Logan..." A pair of blue eyes flashed at me in the rearview mirror. "Anything interesting happen last night?"

"He didn't apologize," Wes muttered.

"And how would you know if anything happened with Ellie?" I looked straight at her reflected eyes until she briefly met my gaze again.

"I know lots of things about Ellie," was all she responded. "Don't worry, I'm on your team."

"Wait a minute..." I leaned forwards slightly. "Did you say something to her last night?"

That would explain Ellie's odd behavior.

"Like whenever we go to yoga, we said lots of things," she teased. "But if she doesn't tell you some of it by Friday then I'll wingman for you."

"Charlie," Wes reached over and placed his hand on her nearest thigh. "I know your heart's in the right place but maybe you shouldn't meddle quite so much."