Chapter 108: Logan

I've never been so pissed off after I won a game.

Was I happy UW was now 5-0 and solely atop the PAC-12 conference? Absolutely. Was I happy with how distracted I'd let myself get from my selfish father's family upgrade announcement? Fuck no.

I knew that days later, or weeks or even months, the way we'd earned the win dissolved and only the outcome remained. But I was anything but happy when my 'first half unraveled, second half redemption over my own shitty play' win was celebrated with my dad and not Ellie.

After the game, I drove Dad in the four-year old, red F150 truck he'd bought me in high school to Palisade, another Wes recommendation. He seemed like he knew I needed an off-beat, privacy-first restaurant. Dad approved of the choice, even reserved a table online on the drive out of town, and the circular restaurant with wood beams that jutted out like spokes on a wheel and the sick view of the sailboats and yachts parked on the water all screamed right up Dad's upscale alley.

For the second time in two nights, I sat across from Dad at a white linen tablecloth table. Candlelight flickered yellow highlights and gray shadows across his facial features, etched with lines of age and concern. His brown eyes looked hooded from how his chin dipped downward.

"So..." I coughed vibrations across my dry throat.

Like I felt at this point after any game, my body shifted from the post-win adrenalin high to the letdown low like a detox crash. My muscles tightened into dull aches, my brain felt tired, and my patience was stretched thin.

Only my stomach worked normally and growled loudly, especially after we ordered. Ironically, Dad and I both ordered the filet mignon steak, although I swapped out the potatoes for a second medium-rare steak and added a salad while Dad got the menu's meal but well-done.

Just like the ride over here, the air between us was thick with uncertain anticipation. I'd gathered my thoughts and opinions as I focused them on, of all topics, Ellie's relationship with her parents. I fully recognized the bitter irony in that I possibly wore down some of the rough edges of my relationship with Dad while Ellie had cut off communication with both her parents.

Do I want... a relationship with Dad though?

For so many years, I'd contently ignored his existence, avoided him as much as possible, and blamed him for how he'd walked out on our family. All of those self-defense mechanisms were preferable over the idea I'd been his 'not-chosen' child for a reason. And while Ellie had given me the most amazing release after Dad's news initially struck right into the nearly ten-year old nerve that pushed Dad away, my jaw clenched at the reminder he planned not one but two more kids whose lives he not only replaced Brody and me with but also potentially screwed up.

Which Brody's already confirmed is related to his last name change.

I'd texted Brody before tonight's game but hadn't checked his reply because I assumed once I knew more of the details from his side, I'd have gotten angrier than I already felt.

Dad's eyes shifted down to the table for a moment, then lifted back to mine. He kicked off the conversation with the last topic I'd expected. "Your girlfriend Eleanor -"

"Dad," I cut him off with narrowed eyes. "If you have a problem with her again then we're done here. She's the only reason I'm sitting across from you right now."

"I don't," he replied in a stern voice but leaned back slightly against his seat. "I was going to say she's something special and... I'm sorry I didn't see that sooner."

"She is - wait... Really?" Now I slumped back against my seat. "You serious? No talk about girls distracting me from my future?"

"You've demonstrated you're mature enough in that area by now, pulled yourself out of a distraction," he admitted with a small shoulder lift. "But she pointed out a few... deficiencies to me today."