Chapter 125: Logan

The entire UW football team took a two and a half hour flight from SeaTac to Vegas, where I sat with one hand tightly clenched on the hand rest and the other nearly crushed under Darrius' death grip. By now, our flight routine drew no attention from the team and if my hand calmed down my friend's nerves, I happily helped as long as he hadn't broken any of my fingers.

Some time between our first flight next to each other and this one, Darrius changed from just my teammate and Ellie's friend to my friend too. Beneath his gigantic, gruff exterior, Darrius was a very mellow, even hilarious, guy. He was really good at impressions, from Coach Peterson, celebrities, comedians, to Monique, even Ellie.

The big guy's heart was bigger than the rest of him. The only child of a single Mom, Darrius went back home during breaks and helped out his Mom's restaurant in Louisiana, although Monique teased that he ate more than he helped.

My eyes slid closed under the pressurized cabin as Ellie floated into my thoughts. I wasn't away from her much, only away games and even though I knew I'd see her in a few hours, I felt like a part of me was missing.

Feels like I chopped my arm off or something.

Which is crazy since we just spent four days together... Well, before keeping Jake and Harper from killing each other.

Selfishly, I'd gotten what I wanted out of the trip, enough of Jake's permission for when I proposed to Ellie. While I loved Ellie more than anyone, just the idea that I asked her to marry me fired up nerves inside me until I practically squeezed Darrius' hand back. My skin prickled and fingers twitched, so I took a slow, deep breath to calm them down.

Fuck, I don't even have a ring.

Or know where to buy one on a student budget.

While I knew Ellie probably loved a rubber band if I proposed with one, she deserved the best representation of how I felt about her. She probably thought otherwise but she was one of the strongest people I knew, so I pulled out my phone with my free hand and searched with that idea in mind.

 She probably thought otherwise but she was one of the strongest people I knew, so I pulled out my phone with my free hand and searched with that idea in mind

"Listen up, Dawgs!!" Coach Peterson's voice echoed off the locker room walls at Allegiant Stadium.

From a player's perspective, the multi-billion dollar, state-of-the-NFL-art football stadium was beyond impressive, from the black, retractable walls and massive video boards viewable from every one of the sixty-five thousand seats down to the all-black lockers, black, white, and silver zebra-patterned carpet, and black locker room benches we currently sat on. The collective silence from the team reflected our shared combination of nerves, anticipation, and subdued excitement.

"Before we get to the exciting part, I'd like to say a few words," Coach cleared his throat and silenced the room with one cough. "I'm damn proud of you boys this season, you've fought hard when pushed down or fell behind, worked your asses off in practices and games, and represented your university and the good people in Husky Nation all season."