Chapter 35: Logan

"LT! LT! Hightower!" voices screamed over and over while I trotted towards the locker room. Flashes of cameras and videos zeroed in on me while I slapped a few hands that the fans extended over the tunnel entrance and stopped for some requested autographs.

"Logan, can I borrow you for an interview?" A voice called with a tapped hand on my shoulder.

I turned from the fan's T-shirt I'd signed to a shorter man with thinning dark hair and excitement in his eyes behind a pair of round glasses. I'd already been interviewed by ESPN, who'd definitely noticed my celebratory point at Ellie. I vaguely answered that I'd pointed at the fans who'd cheered while I'd sat on the bench. Since I recognized this man right away, I stepped away from the tunnel wall and met him halfway over the distance between us.

"Mike Vorell, Seattle Times," he thrust both hands out to me, one with a recorder and the other positioned to shake mine.

"Of course." I shook his hand roughly, then stepped aside from the guys who exited the field behind us. I knew exactly who Mike was since I'd seen him at a few practices and read a few of his articles, one in particular. "Thanks for your pre-season assessment."

I'd attracted a bit of press attention when my transfer here was announced, mostly negative, especially after I was listed within the top-ten players to watch list. Most reporters considered the move redundant once Emmitt was announced as the starter and my backup position was a waste of my talent. Mike was one of the few reporters that took a positive approach and said two solid starters wasn't the Huskies' main concern. While he was incorrect, my ego appreciated how he'd actually predicted that I'd beaten out Emmitt for the starter position during training camp.

"Bit of an adjustment playing here, huh?" He cocked his head slightly sideways and grinned like he knew my answer before he'd asked the question. "What's your impression of Huskies' Stadium?"

"Unbelievable," I replied honestly and lifted my eyes up to the thankfully celebratory atmosphere. "I've practiced here for weeks but to see everyone here, enjoying their Saturday night, and supporting the team, it's been an amazing experience already."

"You came out huge with a pass to Wes Brown but let's talk about adjustments." Since this seemed like it'd be a bit longer discussion, I removed my helmet and lowered my ear closer so I fully heard his questions over the cheers that still rained down on us. "I've said all preseason that you've looked two steps ahead of your own team in practice, how does that translate onto the field for you taking this team through the rest of the season?"

"Look, I know my place." I swallowed that bitter pill on the spot. "I was Emmitt's backup and until we hear otherwise, he's the captain and it's still his team. Tonight was his win, I just finished what he'd started."

"Fair enough." Mike frowned slightly since I hadn't taken his bait for confirmation that I'd taken Emmitt's spot. I actually knew nothing about his condition other than he and Charlie hadn't returned to the sidelines, which wasn't a good sign.

"That said," I felt like I had to toss him something. "Defense played great, the special teams were on point. We have some adjustments that we'll practice on but offense got the job done. Tonight's win was big for the conference and the kind of statement we wanted to make early."

"Love the positivity, good luck this season LT." Mike shook my hand again, then I thanked him and was the last team member who trailed into the locker room.

The post-game locker room was a mix of subdued pride and excitement. Hand after hand patted my shoulder or chest, or gave me a fist bump. I wore a tight-fitted smile, happy for the win but not at Emmitt's expense.

"LT." Wes slapped me right between the shoulders. "Great game."

"You too." I returned his fist bump as my knuckles pounded into his. While I ripped off my skin-tight black gloves, I added, "Makes it easier when you run your full speed."