Chapter 128: Ellie

While UW's magical momentum fizzled during the heartbreaking PAC-12 loss, the team, coaches, and even fans regrouped after we returned to Seattle. The team was in fact invited to play in the Fiesta Bowl in Scottsdale Arizona against the Oklahoma Sooners, who'd had a similarly tough loss in the BIG-12 conference. The Fiesta Bowl game slowly picked up momentum over the next week but unfortunately the media focused their attention on me.

Any time Logan and I left the apartment, together or separate, we were bombarded with splashed lights from cameras, microphones shoved in our faces, and questions shouted at us. Because of this, Logan only left my side for his practices, which Coach Peterson closed to the public and press. When he did, Charlie and Monique alternated between who acted as my shadow. Unfortunately, that included escorting me to and from work but both assured me they didn't mind.

My credit card bill from all my flights also reminded me where most of my extra work money went. Thankfully most of my tickets were 'Wanna Get Away?' Southwest specials, but I was glad this was my last football traveling trip for the season. Financially, Logan held up his promise and his Husky card covered all our food expenses, which opened up more funds for my airline tickets, and I happily attended every one of Logan's games... until the PAC-12 one.

After Ryder's parents confronted me at the PAC-12 game, I was more than appreciative at how my friends never left my side. Charlie and Monique even with the fact my life had now become a fishbowl with national-level of interest.

A much more welcomed distraction was the news that Darrius received his NFL combine invitation for February, a workout opportunity for top college players to show off their skills in front of NFL staff and scouts. While the entire team was elated for Darrius, the letter was a bitter reminder that the Fiesta Bowl was his last game as a UW Husky.

While I had no comparison of physical exertion level compared to the guys on the team, by the time Monique and I sat down in Sun Devil Stadium in Scottsdale, Arizona, I was tired. My joints and limbs ahced from the plane ride, where I'd happily tired my brain and lost myself in A Separate Peace by John Knowles. The mental distraction my thoughts happily fell into the problems of someone else reminded me I never had enough time or brain space for my favorite hobby in college.

"Ellie!" Mom's voice rushed over the empty seats behind me and Monique, who sat with me until my family joined up and she retreated to a few sections over with her and Darrius' crew. I turned around, gave Mom a wave, then smiled at the small, familiar group who stepped down behind her.

"I can stay here if you'd like." Monique's dark brown eyes flashed at me then looked over at her designated seat. "Really, truly, don't mind sitting here if you need me."

"I'm good," I assured her and pointed over to her game-rowdy future relatives. "Go bond over... I have no idea what. But thanks for traveling with me."

"Please, girl," she chided me with a shake of her head. "You say that like I wasn't flying down here myself."

"Still appreciated." I threw her a smile, hugged her tightly, then blinked back a few tears. "See you back in Seattle."

"Ellie," Jake greeted me with a lopsided grin and tight hug. I took in a brief breath of his warmth and familiar musky cologne that I'd always thought was overkill but now appreciated the familiarity.

Once Jake released me, I wrapped my arms around Harper, who relayed, "Dad's sorry but sent me instead. Not sure if that's an upgrade or consolation prize."

"Still appreciated," I assured her, pulled back, and caught a gleam in Jake's eyes as they dragged over her appearance.

At least they didn't kill each other coming from the airport to the stadium.