Chapter 20: Ellie

While I'd shocked myself when I kissed Logan on the cheek, by his wide-eyed and gaped mouth expression, I think I'd surprised him more. That initial reaction quickly dissolved, since he wore the biggest, smuggest grin by the time he climbed into his truck.

"That was just my appreciation for shutting down Angel," I assured him with an index finger pointed at his face. "Don't get all cocky on me."

I was about fifty-percent honest in my justification. Angel Benson was the most obvious, shameless flirt with the guys on the team. I'd seen her many, many times among the clusters of groupies that hung outside the football team's locker room while I'd waited for Charlie after practices or games. Every time I'd seen her, with her tits on display like some football heatseekers and how whatever guy she wanted drooled into putty annoyed me.

Her hands on Logan though... that felt personal.

"Too late." His grin actually spread wider. "Besides, you like when I get all... cocky."

And there he goes again. At the rate he's going, next week he'll just walk around the apartment naked.

Since my cheeks warmed at that idea, I just shook my head then turned my head in the direction outside my window and watched the streets until Logan arrived back at the apartment. While I was a sweaty mess from our grocery carry upstairs, even with three times as many bags, Logan looked as cool as a cucumber while he walked right into the apartment and set his bags on the kitchen floor.

"Just toss stuff wherever." I pointed to the fridge. "I'll reorganize everything tomorrow."

Logan shot me a look like he wasn't happy about that again, but just silently put stuff away. The counters were completely covered by the time we were done, but I just waved an absent hand at the kitchen. Since the time read after eight o'clock, we both stood in the kitchen while we ate a quick dinner of leftovers, then I showered while he cleaned up.

I could get used to that part.

The long day caught up with me once I sat down with a loud groan under my butt on the air mattress. Once I checked my alarm reminder, an hour later because Tuesday's class wasn't until nine, my eyes fluttered shut before Logan even stepped out of the shower. I assumed he was tired since I hadn't heard a peep before sleep quickly took me under.

 I assumed he was tired since I hadn't heard a peep before sleep quickly took me under

The next morning, Logan's room was still quiet while I dressed and ate breakfast. So I dragged him out of bed, slapped a reheated breakfast burrito in each of his palms while I carried a smoothie for him, and we arrived fifteen minutes prior to class in Hitchcock Hall. The older, red brick building looked as tired as I felt and the stiffness in my neck reminded me of the less than ideal air mattress sleep setup.

"Ellie." Logan's elbow nudged my shoulder while we glanced around the near empty amphitheater-style lecture room. Light gray padded walls surrounded the space with dim lighting from overhead recessed lights. Rows and rows of medium-gray seats, at least five hundred lecture chairs total, with light-wood armrests and trays lined each side of a central set of steps that led down to the instructors' platform. A laptop was set up on a table near the podium on the stage and 'BIOL 310 - Survey of Human Anatomy' flashed across a large screen.