Chapter 91: Ellie

I'd never had a urinary tract infection before but after this one, I hoped I never had another again. I'd woken up with a strong urge to pee, which magnified but every time I peed, a hot, sharp sensation burned like I peed out shards of glass, even if just a few drops. After a short relief, the urge crept up and the whole process repeated itself.

This sucks. After two times of back-to-back good sex too.

Logan's non lubricated condoms probably weren't the cause of my UTI as much as how we'd gone through more than half of his jumbo-sized box. My mind skipped over the calculation of how many times we'd slept together but hopefully this setback was only temporary.

As if him seeing me half-naked on the toilet wasn't embarrassing enough.

Logan and I had as little privacy as any roommates but we'd tried to give each other privacy at least when we used the bathroom. His expression in the bathroom only showed his eyebrows drawn together and his mouth corners downturned but my cheeks flamed hotter than, well, my infection at the sight of him knelt down near the toilet.

"So what are you going to do?" Charlie asked in a low voice while we exited Hall Health Center.

Dr. Robbins, a very polite, older woman who'd nearly diagnosed me as soon as 'burns when I pee' left my mouth and sent over the prescription as soon as the test came back positive, then filled my hands with pamphlets on preventative care and the lowered effectiveness of birth control pills while taking antibiotics.

"Logan's picking up the antibiotics." I sighed and opened her car's passenger's side door. My nose cringed at the slight discomfort in my core area while I sat down but I turned my head in her direction once her door slammed shut. "Thanks for taking me today."

"Of course. Wes is probably still moaning over his post-period cramps episode anyways." Her blue eyes rolled but a smile played on her lips. "But I meant about your birth control."

"Get the IUD, I guess." I shrugged, clipped on my seatbelt, then widened my legs. "That's what Dr. Robbins suggested."

After her UTI diagnosis, since I'd brought up my and Logan's sexual intercourse with condoms, birth control, and my PCOS, Dr. Robbins had also drawn an STD panel test for me, then suggested that Logan also got checked for peace of mind and that I considered an IUD. She warned me that my birth control pills' effectiveness was possibly affected by the antibiotics, offered to place an IUD in the next day my period started, and advocated that an IUD option still managed my PCOS symptoms like the pills but was much more effective at pregnancy prevention.

"I have the patch." Charlie patted her upper right arm. "But IUDs can be safe and effective."

"I think that's what Harper has," I murmured since the idea that some foreign object was stuck up in my uterus for a few years still sounded as unappealing now as it had when Dr. Robbins first brought that option up. "But if it means we don't need condoms then maybe it's for the best."

"Sex does feel better without it." Charlie smiled at me. "But I get it, even engaged Wes and I are years off of thinking about having kids."

"I'll think about it," I mumbled while my phone buzzed with a text message. "I just hope the UTI is gone before my parents and Jake are back here."

I glanced down and saw Harper had returned my 'so I have a UTI' text message from Dr. Robbins' exam room.

Harper: UTI? Do you pee after sex?

me: Every time.

Harper: Hmm... condoms?

me: Every time.