Chapter 104: Ellie

Logan and I quietly ate breakfast with only a few Anatomy-related phrases and questions passed between us. The atmosphere was tensed only by the pressure from our upcoming exam, like we'd temporarily pushed aside our other emotions and opinions for the time being.

A typical Seattle morning - thick, foggy, and gray - greeted us outside at our normal Tuesday morning departure time, since our Anatomy exam was scheduled during our normal class time. Dr. Groves divided the class in half, so Logan and I took our exam today on Tuesday with the other A-K students while Amy and Emmitt's was with the rest of the class on Thursday. In our last class, Dr. Groves promised he'd written up two different versions so the first half hadn't shared the questions with the second between exam days.

Logan and I walked quietly together, which hadn't bothered me because my mind circulated the replay loop of the course's topics, diagrams, and definitions. The warmth and strength of Logan's hand wrapped around mine kept me grounded but I largely ignored the stream of students we walked through across the sidewalks to the Life Sciences Building on the same path we took every Tuesday and Thursday morning for Anatomy class.

I offered Logan a wistful smile at the hand he extended while the other held the heavy, silver auditorium door open for me. We filed down the stairs of the voluminous space, which was dark and thick with anticipation, last minute memorizations, and a definite smell of freshly brewed coffee.

My feet brought me to my usual lecture hall seat, near the front, where I sat down, grabbed my pencil from my purse, and pulled up my desktop. I returned Logan's smile as he took the seat three apart from mine, then he winked as one of his long arms extended and passed me an exam.

I took quick glance over the first page, then flipped it over and scanned the second and third pages.

Question 1: What are the functions of the Integumentary system?

Question 5: What is a collection of cells with a similar function working together called? A - Team, B - Molecule, C - Organelle, D - Tissue.

Question 6: What is a collection of different tissues that work together toward a common goal called? A - Team, B - Organ, C - Organelle, D - Tissue cluster.

Question 10: Unipolar neurons are found in ___________. A - Brain, B - Spinal Cord, C - Embryonic nerve tissue, D - Adult nervous tissue.

The more my eyes roamed over the test, the more answers that popped into my head, the more I relaxed my shoulders, steadied my mind, and tugged a small smile across my lips.

Easy peasy.

"You were done first," Logan greeted me outside the front entrance for the building, ten minutes after I'd handed in my exam and waited out here for him

"Was I?" My eyes studied him for any signs of nerves or apprehension and wasn't surprised when I found none.

The worried look I'd selfishly hoped for, since exams always made me nervous, only crossed his face the longer he looked at me. The corners of his mouth pulled downwards and the ocean blue of his eyes slightly grayed almost like they matched the weather outside. While the low-lying fog cleared during our ninety minute test, thick, gray clouds hung low overhead like a padded quilt.