Chapter 75: Ellie

"Wow." Brody breathed in the sight of Husky Stadium and eyes roamed around from our location in Section 129, the midfield, lower level section behind the Huskies' bench. "This is... wow."

"Just a big pile of cement, metal, and brick," Harper mused, stepped down a few stairs, sat down in a front-row seat, and propped her chunky black heels onto the metal railing. Like a magnet, a few helmet-covered heads turned in her direction. Typical Harper just wiggled her fingers, then shifted her hand to a middle finger salute that she directed at every pair of eyes on her. With a satisfied huff, she took out her phone.

"And what about you?" I asked and bumped shoulders with Brody. "You're having a good season, from what Logan's told me."

Logan actually hadn't told me much about Brody, other than rattled off his football stats every Friday night. I had no idea if Scotts Valley was any good, or knew anything about any other school other than Santa Cruz missed Jake the same way I assumed that Salesian missed Logan.

"On the field," he mumbled and turned slightly away from me.

"It's gotta be tough at a new school." I nodded down the field at number ten. "Logan's brand-new here too. I know he really misses seeing you guys."

"Which is why we'll make up for lost time." Grace stuck herself between us, arms wrapped tight around my and Brody's shoulders, then belted out, "Dogs, go to your doghouse!"

"It's Dawgs in the house - " I started but the curious looks in our direction left Grace completely unphased.

"Can't take her anywhere," Brody grumbled, shook off Grace's arm, then sat down in a seat noticeably a couple seats away from any of us.

"Impressive stadium." Mr. Reynolds joined us for a look around, then side-stepped and sat down in the first row near Harper. Whatever phone conversation she'd been engrossed in ended as soon as he took the seat next to hers.

A rush of thumped feet across the field approached us and, within a blink, Logan's large frame hung halfway over the railing. He ripped off his helmet then stared, his eyes wide, his hair damp and darker with sweat, cheeks and forehead flushed red, and lips parted slightly between Grace and Brody. I nudged Grace down the last few steps, followed behind, and smiled when Brody got up and came over.

I blinked back the onset of tears that tickled the corners of my eyes when Logan wrapped Grace up into a big hug. A few slow breaths further squished the surprising emotions that welled up inside me at the sight of Logan with his family, until one of his arms released Grace, reached over, and punched Brody in the shoulder.

Some things really are the same.

"Fuck! What are you... two doing here!?" Logan choked out with a laugh and looked between them without a blink in his wide eyes.

"Surprise!" Grace planted a kiss on his cheek, then wiped her lips. "Ick, you're still just as gross and sweaty as usual."

Logan's gaze shifted towards me before he jumped down to the field, stepped over to my seat, then climbed back up until our noses practically touched. In one swooped movement, his lips fluttered a soft kiss over my cheek that tingled my skin. When he pulled back, the look in his eyes was indescribable past warm and in awe, like he truly looked at me for the first time.

"You're not at all surprised." His voice was full of breath before he gave me the most beautiful smile of flashed teeth. "You did this, didn't you?"

My lips pressed back the tightness in my chest that pushed for more tears and I nodded. "You'd better get to practice, we'll be upstairs afterwards." I pointed up to the boxed windows, where the coaching staff offices were and location of our interview.