Chapter 14: Ellie

Just as I'd suspected, Logan climbed effortlessly up UW's outside rock wall. His large frame moved comfortably and confidently, his muscles clenched and lifted him higher and higher, like he'd done the climb millions of times. The way his back, shoulder, and leg muscles flexed and contracted even through his sweatpants definitely drew my attention.

I wasn't sure if his ridiculous good looks, radiated confidence, or casual smile fixed on his expression were the culprits, maybe all combined, but my eyes weren't the only ones Logan drew towards him. At his height, Logan was a magnet for attention but quickly I became aware of the female-driven attention he attracted.

From the first steps out of our apartment, down every sidewalk and past every campus building, eyes pulled in our direction. And a weird, twisted sensation coiled inside my stomach when I noticed every single time when some girl's eyes lingered on him the way I looked at anything chocolate-related when on my periods.

Suppose I can't blame them, he is handsome.

A small crowd of fangirls even gathered off to the side of the rock climbing wall while Logan scaled effortless up it. He hadn't needed my help getting down but my hand reached out on instinct to his lower back. His muscles tensed at the contact but he jumped down to where my arm wrapped around him. Before his movements registered in my brain, he wrapped one arm around my shoulders and pulled me flush against him.

My breath froze in my lungs and my lips parted when he leaned down and murmured thanks into my ear. The skin below my ear pricked with goosebumps from his warm breath and my heart beat jumped from the close proximity of my body pressed into his side.

"Ahem, Ellie?" James' voice cut through my distracted thoughts and honestly I'd forgotten how he'd stood next to me during Logan's climb. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure." I stepped away from the warmth of Logan's body, walked a few steps with James, then looked back at Logan. A small frown tensed my forehead when I saw the fangirl herd had converged on him. He wore a polite smile but a slightly pained look crossed over his eyes when they erupted in giggles.

Still hates that.

"Ellie?" James' voice drew my attention towards him.

James and I had worked the library's help desk for two years and he was the epitome of a friendly face on campus. We shared hours of conversations about books and stories of when we'd separated making out couples behind the historical stacks in the lower level.

"There's a new art exhibit at the Jacob Lawrence Gallery." He shifted in his feet but gave me a soft smile. "Well, it's actually at Meany, but I was wondering if -"

"Oh," I cut him off since I knew where this was headed, an invitation to see something at the Meany Center for Performing Arts. Hesitation rose inside me since apparently James was determined that he started this year out where he'd left off at the end of our sophomore year.

James had asked me a few times to some artsy exhibits, which always fell during times I'd tutored, then tried to stay connected over the summer break. I'd declined his long distance offer, not because he wasn't my friend but I'd worked deliberately hard to keep my life at UW separate from what had happened in California. My life here wasn't the most interesting but I cherished my time here so much that I borderline hoarded it to myself.

"I'll... umm..." I forced a smile at James. "Think about it. See you at work?"

When James nodded silently, I realized that my UW life was so much easier when I'd kept my past separate. But one look at Logan and I realized the possibility that my past clashed with my sanctum of peace existed. A sense of uncertainty rose inside me, not at any suspicion that Logan revealed anything, but just his presence was enough and I was on edge. He was a physical presence of the past I'd tried to step away from while I moved forwards and now lingered like a ghostly reminder in front of me.