Chapter 115: Emmitt

Fuck I hate sitting out during these games.

Might as well put me on the cheer squad, I'm just a glorified Huskies cheerleader.

Any guy who strapped on a football helmet and stepped onto the field did so at the risk of an injury but every guy hoped he avoided it. In a flash second, my entire season was taken away. I worked my ass off so that my future hadn't also been taken away, but my slow progress frustrated me beyond belief.

While I was glad I'd tossed my crutches into the trash dumpster at the football house and downgraded my walking boot to a brace, my ankle still wasn't completely healed. All of that led me to my completely miserable state, particularly because -

"Push it, Verns!" Charlie Montgomery snapped out at me from her position hovered of me like the fucking mother hen she thought she was. "I'm not here to watch you half-ass your recovery work."

I gritted my teeth against the stiffness that still hadn't left my right ankle, despite two weeks of PT with Charlie. I only tolerated her bitchy attitude over the past two years because she was Ellie's roommate and easily made these sessions my least favorite days of the week.

Fuck, Ellie just keeps creeping back into my head.

Ellie probably knew me from the Zeta's stupid hazing rituals but I'd actually noticed her long before that. Charlie and Wes were attached at the fucking hip pretty early my sophomore, their freshman year, and I'd definitely noticed the cute, quiet brunette with gorgeous dark brown eyes and absolutely no fucking clue how she affected guys.

Ellie's first reference was 'Charlie's roommate,' but caught the attention of half the team after she tutored a few guys. Just a few weeks into my second season, I lost count of the number of guys who wanted to sleep with her, myself included. Yet she shot down every guy's attempt until she'd reached some untouchable pedestal status and instead only satisfied anyone in the form of spank bank material.

Again, me included.

I recognized her right away in the Zetas' basement, not by her small frame but the defiant way her chin lifted, the crease between her eyebrows, and downturned corners of her sinfully full lips. The other girls trembled and shivered but Ellie knelt completely still, where she projected an aura of disgust that drew me straight to her. While I'd wanted nothing more than those lips wrapped around my cock as I drew it out like Lydia instructed us to as we chose a girl, rumors and reputation aside, I'd sincerely never used a girl like that.

Especially not Ellie. She's not the type you fool around with, she's the type you bring home to your family and marry someday.

And just when I tried to save her from a horrible harassment, she fucking turns on me.

Unfortunately, Ellie completely misunderstood my intentions at the Zeta party and hated me from an arm's distance since then. After the event, Wes and Darrius also formed some fucking security team around her. I was completely confused that Hightower so easily wedged himself right in, not just through Ellie's friend circle but her apartment, between her legs by the gigantic grin always on his smug face, and stole her right from under my nose.

I wasn't entirely sure what Hightower's angle was because he never said a word about Ellie, not even during the locker room shit talk I used to pull out his intentions.

How did that guy crack through? Fuck, he's ruining everything.

"Verns!" Charlie barked out again, before a devious smirk pulled across her lips. "Daydreaming of your ruined chances with Ellie again?"

"Fuck no." I scowled and pushed through the reps of weightless lunges she'd assigned me. My left ankle was completely fine but my other side's leg muscles had definitely weakened over the six weeks since my injury.