Chapter 79: Logan

I still believed that my birthdays were cursed, so I was glad Ellie invited Brody and Mom up for my birthday a week prior to the actual date. Blown away was an understatement of how I felt when I saw they casually sat in Husky Stadium's seats during Friday's practice, like their presence was no big deal. The only giveaway was how Ellie's eyes shone at me when I came over and greeted them.

My girl keeps surprising me.

After Emmitt's adoring love eyes and how Ellie seemed like she barely believed me when I told her about his feelings for her, my ego appreciated her gesture just as much as my heart did. I hadn't kept up with Brody and Mom as much as I had at UCD, definitely hadn't seen them, so their presence was a very welcome surprise.

While Ellie had accepted my apology, I was extremely aware that I hadn't made up fully to her yet. I'd planned that I took her out to dinner tonight, then physically showed her how much I appreciated her, but those plans were slightly derailed with four additions to our dinner party.

With all details spared, the interview went as well as I expected but Ellie was uncomfortable during the entire time. She masked herself the best she could but her small squirms, hand squeezes, and lip twitches all read she wanted to be anywhere else. So I was extremely thankful once I led her out of Husky Stadium, said goodbye to Jake before he caught his ride to the airport, and the rest of us went out to dinner.

"Are you sure?" Ellie craned her neck back at the semicircular restaurant neon sign that, combined with the Christmas-like lights that lined the double brass entrance door area, looked lit up like a carnival ride.

"Yep." I looked at Wes' recommendation, a restaurant right on the water at Pier 54 downtown. The water reflected a royal blue color that contrasted the bold, reddish-orange sky that the nearly set sun left in its departure.

My nose wrinkled at the definite fish-infused smell that the breeze off the water brought to my attention, which Ellie also noticed. Her voice sounded as dry as the night air when she pointed out, "Pretty sure Ivar's Acres of Clams is a seafood restaurant."

"Which I'm sure has non-seafood options," I assured her and opened one of the shiny brass doors that reflected the very skeptical expression on her face and held the door open for her. "Promise I was going to take just us here tonight."

"Really?" Her dark eyes were wide as she passed by me into the restaurant, then paused when I gently grabbed her upper arm with my free hand. "Why?"

"To fully apologize," I murmured and bent down far enough that my nose traveled over the soft skin on her now makeup-free cheek. I noticed once she'd gotten out of her car with Harper that she'd wiped all her makeup off between Husky Stadium and here.

The three additional passengers in my truck aside, I had every intention that I showed Ellie I was sorry about my overreaction to her period but I'd also assumed that we both needed stress relief once the interview finished.

One perk with roommates, at some point we'll be alone.

Preferably sooner than later.

"Dinner first. I had other plans for dessert but they'll have to wait." The sound of Ellie's inhale hit my ears as I pressed a soft kiss right onto the corner of her lips, then pulled back at the squeal that erupted behind us.

"Sorry!" I lifted my eyes off Ellie's soft skin that my lips wanted more contact with and met Mom's gaze. Her eyes glossed over and her hands clasped at her heart. "Just so glad to see this."

"Inside before we hear about grandkids," I teased Ellie with a slight lift of my chin towards the door, which I also held open for Mom, Brody, Harper, and her dad. Mr. Reynolds nodded slightly at my gesture, but I stopped him and held out one hand for a shake.