Chapter 129: Ellie

"Thanks again, Dr. Newhouse." I stood up from the extra chair that faced my advisor's sleek, metal desk, extended my right hand, and shook hers.

In a moment of embarrassment, I met with Dr. Newhouse since she was also the Nutrition Sciences Department Chair and requested a three-day leave of absence for Ryder's trial. I omitted all details except showed her a copy of the subpoena form. Mr. Reynolds assured me that my testimony was only over one day, the District Attorney's office wanted another day to prep me, and Mr. Reynolds suggested that I used the day in between as a break.

While the second week of January was still early in the spring quarter, I'd already gotten my homework assignments completed and assured my professors that I'd bring down all the necessary materials for next week's classes.

"No need to thank me." Her silvery-blue eyes, creased with her decades of academic experience, sparkled up at me and she swept aside a few gray hairs off her forehead. Right when I released her hand and stood up, she added, "Eleanor, a moment please. I know you're a junior but have you given any thought into your post-undergrad plans?"

"I... haven't," I admitted, sank back down into the chair, and hugged my backpack into my chest.

"Well..." She fisted her hand and propped her chin on it. "I know that you're aware that we have the senior research project, which carries a lot of weight. But you're one of the top students in the department and we'd be lucky if you considered applying for our graduate program."

Dr. Newhouse was correct, I knew about the project...

And have absolutely no idea what I want to do mine on, let alone after I graduate.

Grad school though? Wow, hadn't thought about that.

"I'll definitely think about it," I replied with a grin that appeared on its own. "Just taking things one step at a time."

"Very reasonable." She nodded and waved goodbye as I exited her office.

In almost a last-minute decision, I told Logan to stay at UW during my court testimony. His football season ended on a high with the Fiesta Bowl win but he still had his own academic responsibilities.

And, in Logan's true stubborn nature, he came down to California anyways. Since Mom warned me that a miniature media encampment set up in the cul-de-sac our house sat off, Logan stayed with Grace and Brody in Scotts Valley, where their condo building had open parking lots but at least locked entrances.

The media circus outside our UW apartment was a picnic compared to what was camped out in our neighborhood, at Santa Cruz High School, even Pizza Palace. Ryder's trial, blown up by his smear campaign on me that resulted in national-level coverage.

The sight of a familiar blonde ESPN reporter on the sidewalk outside our house annoyed me most of all, particularly with the circumstances under which I'd last seen her in person.

At least Jake finally developed some common sense rejecting this one.

The first day I was home, I left early that morning under a blinding barrage of camera flashes and shouted questions. Since a few cars followed me out of the neighborhood, I followed Mr. Reynolds' suggestion and weaved my way through the curved local streets that I knew like the back of my hand until I drove in peaceful solitude.

Turn after turn, I ended up at the parking lot behind the Santa Cruz County Government Center building, the address Mr. Reynolds had given me. Thankfully, the gated lot required my driver's license matched the visitor's list and only a few formally dressed people headed from the lot into the office.