Chapter 53: Ellie

Emmitt hadn't attended Tuesday or Thursday's Anatomy class, but I copied those lecture notes for him while I worked a pretty quiet library shift both days. James avoided me like the plague, which I was completely fine with given his misunderstanding about our date.

Despite what happened in the shower between me and Logan, we hadn't talked much about where our relationship officially stood, but I was okay with that. After the hot mess that was my morning-after apology, a giant weight had been lifted off my conscience. We definitely had some wrinkles that we needed ironed out, plus possibly a new jealousy issue between us, but now wasn't the best time for another heavy discussion about what we both wanted.

Friday's perfect though. We can talk about it during our date.

I knew for certain that I wanted whatever Logan had to give me. He'd previously said he wanted 'all of it,' and I was nervously onboard with that idea. My self-preservation and over-thinking habits hadn't completely died, but there was no one I trusted more. So much of Logan was the same as my first love, but he was more grown up and mature. His dedication towards a few close relationships with family and friends, even long distance, flooded my heart with warmth.

Between extended football practices, which included his ice baths afterwards, and classes, Logan had enough pressure on his shoulders right now. In a move he probably hadn't noticed, I dropped all teasing and flirting with him, including how I slept on the sofa. I only did it to give him uninterrupted nights of sleep, not that he needed much help before he passed out into a coma-like sleep just thirty minutes after he ate dinner.

In an incredibly sweet move, Logan still walked me to both of my first classes. Once he downed his smoothie, he held my hand in his along the way. We'd gotten a few whispers and pictures taken in the process, especially in Anatomy class, but he showed no reaction other than gripped my hand tighter.

I took full advantage of the solitude around the library's information desk area and downloaded the statistical software on my lap per Dr. Pearce's instructions. While I ran the example code she provided, I had no idea what it actually accomplished. Since tumbleweeds practically rolled down the aisles between the stacks, I finished all my other classes' homework and reading assignments and headed out.

Charlie had a post-practice PT team meeting in prep for their first away game of the season, so we'd rescheduled yoga to another night and I went back to the apartment after work. Ninety minutes after I'd finished tonight's dinner and leftovers for tomorrow's lunch, then showered, Logan arrived home. By how he dropped his practice bag in the front closet with a thud and a sigh, plus one look at his heavy-lidded eyes and slumped shoulders, I knew he was completely exhausted.

Poor guy.

"Hey," I greeted him and moved my backpack off the dining room table chair where I'd set it. "You okay?"

"Yeah, just a long day," he confessed, then turned towards the kitchen. I stepped over and intercepted his path, then pointed at the living room sofa.

"Go relax, I'll warm up some dinner," I assured him. He put up zero resistance, just groaned slightly when he sat on the sofa.

"This is way nicer than the previous one." I heard him through the kitchen wall while I climbed up on the counters and pulled down two plates and glasses.

Why are they all on the top shelf now? Short person problems.

I climbed down and called back as I plated his food, just a lemon-rosemary chicken and mixed baked vegetable tray I'd left in the oven so it stayed warm. "Are you sure you're okay? You seem like you need to rest."

"Just tired." He frowned at his own words while he sat at the dining room table, where apparently he'd moved to, as I carried his plate and glass of water to him. "Tomorrow's practice is lighter before the game anyways."