Chapter 92: Logan

LTs#1: What!!??!!?? 😱😱😱 Y???? Noooo!!! ILY LT!

HuskyFan98052: Cute girl. 👍 NOW BEAT USC!!!!

LT-Marry-ME: What'd that bitch do the rest of us couldn't? 🕳️🏃‍♀️

LogansBitchhh: WTF slut stole him away. 🔪🔪

Grace.Hightower: Logan + Ellie = 🥰❤️‍🔥🥰❤️‍🔥🥰.

With a sigh, I gently pinched the bridge of my nose with the index finger and thumb that wasn't on my hand that tightly clenched my phone. After the interview, my social media sites exploded in reaction and, as I expected, initial reactions were bipolar. Not that Ellie looked at my page anymore, but I spent more time than I comfortably admitted twenty-four hours after our interview aired and deleted all the hateful messages directed at Ellie and only posted a link to Mike Vorrell's pregame article.

My email and text messages were similarly flooded but thankfully those messages, from people who truly knew me, were all positive.

Mom: Logan + Ellie = 🥰❤️‍🔥🥰❤️‍🔥🥰.
Mom: Did I do that right??
Mom: Oh, I'll post it anyway. Love you two!!

The in-person reactions, the eyes, whispers, and pictures snapped of Ellie were similar to when I'd been named the starting quarterback after Emmitt's injury. However, this time the interest was solely personal and I clamped my hand tightly around hers whenever I walked her to her classes.

Extra attention aside, I assumed that Ellie felt better because her mood improved over the next few days during our normal schedule. Her bathroom groans stopped and she told me the antibiotics worked very quickly, although I still griped at her until both the cranberry juice and yogurt containers were empty. Unfortunately, she was right and her pee was definitely blood-red, which I ignored as much as I could. Thankfully, Ellie was my cleanest roommate but that was an unfair comparison because my only prior roommate was Brody and he was an absolute slob.

Tuesday our Anatomy group presented our group research on the endocrine system to the whole class. Despite how her voice trembled, Ellie's first part of the presentation that started from skin inward, was amazing. By the time I presented last, half of the auditorium looked bored and half asleep while the other half skimmed over their own presentation notes, but Dr. Groves listened intently and praised us afterwards. Our presentation wasn't the most thrilling or ground-breaking performance but we covered all the requirements, finished in our allotted time, and Ellie and I answered all of Dr. Groves' follow-up questions while Emmitt stood up silently and Amy picked at her fingernails.

At least it's over.

After that, the week progressed quickly and, as I walked across campus, fistbumps, handshakes, and well-wishes greeted me at almost every step. Among my practices, Ellie's job, and all our courses headed towards midterms, the week flew by and the game against USC quickly approached.

While the entire campus acted supportive behind me, behind the closed locker room and film study doors, we knew that the Trojans' powerhouse team was bigger than our program. But Coach Vaughn practiced us quarterbacks like a man possessed, drove us through extra hours of harder practices, and pushed me further into so much fatigue I almost fell asleep in my ice bath Wednesday night.

I won't say USC is better, we'll still give every ounce of effort that each of my teammates has, but reality in the team rankings says otherwise.

Friday rolled around and after my morning classes, while Ellie worked a couple of early afternoon tutoring shifts, I drove off campus for almost an hour to the Seattle Golf Club course at the address Coach Peterson had given me. The clubhouse reminded me more of a hunting lodge, with white and dark brown walls, lots of peaked roofs, and enormous windows.