Chapter 64: Ellie

"So proud of you, girl." Monique's palm squeezed my shoulder tightly, then her other hand's index finger wiped a pretend tear out of her eye while we watched as the gleaming, silver Huskies' team bus exited the parking lot. "So proud."

"What?" I dropped my raised waving hand to my side, but kept the other hugged around her hip.

"You." Her smile couldn't have gotten wider. "Plural you. Freshly fucked looks good on you two."

My jaw nearly dropped onto the parking lot pavement.

She did not just say... she did.

"Don't look so surprised." Her eyes shifted sideways at me while we walked over her car. "Cupid struck deep. Hearts in your eyes, glow in your skin, you haven't stopped smiling or blushing, and a dumbass, smug grin on his face... Need any more proof?"

My lips parted but she continued, "And don't think I didn't notice that ass squeeze."

"Oh," I muttered quietly and dropped my hand from around her. "Nothing gets past you."

"Nope." Her black hair swung as she shook her head. "Spill the tea girl. And by tea I need the whole damn tea party of details that led up to you having a ring around your neck."

My chin tucked into my chest while I dropped my eyes downward and saw I'd left my ring outside my shirt. "How about I tell you during the pregame?"

"Of course," she replied and released her grip on me. "Yours or mine?"

"Yours," I offered with a grin.

"Perfect." Her lips parted into a beautiful smile, then she gave me a quick hand wave and headed to her car. "You bring your carbs, I'll bring mine."

Two hours later, I walked through the grocery store aisles alone

Two hours later, I walked through the grocery store aisles alone. Logan had left his Husky card behind, which I'd assured him was completely unnecessary, but he insisted I used it for the groceries. So I picked up all the usual items, fresh fruits and vegetables, notably cauliflower, meats, and eggs along with some items from my 'Fall Food ideas' blog.

Since we were in Washington, I couldn't not pick up two gigantic bags of red apples for the spiced apples I'd loved in the fall. I wasn't a pumpkin spice fan but cinnamon was one of my favorite flavors.

While Logan was nowhere in sight, I definitely caught the attention of a few strangers in the grocery store. No one approached me but a few fixed glances and stares were cast in my direction, which I returned with as polite of a smile or wave as I mustered.

Weird.

Prior to the grocery story trip, I'd made a quick drive downtown Seattle to pick up a couple of special food items. My first pickup was the smallest fresh salmon Pike Market had, and asked that they filet-cut it for me. I wasn't as much of a fan of oysters but Monique was, so I bought a small number of those as well.