Chapter 96: Ellie

The game's second half picked up just like the first half ended. UW and USC both took the field renewed physically and mentally, then went right back onto their offensive attacks. Back and forth, the teams traded scores, the lead changed more times than I counted, and every butt in Husky Stadium stood clenched in anticipation.

Jake and Logan both put on offensive clinics, as neither fumbled the ball or threw an interception. Logan's slight edge showed only in his slightly more efficient passes and UW scored more quickly but Jake went score-for-score until Dad's scowl looked permanent, Mom's face was gray with tension, most of my fingernails were chewed down to stubs, and every nerve in my body felt frayed.

Finally, down 36-40, the Huskies' defense came up with big stops against Jake's offensive line. The crowd roared with nervous excitement as Logan took the field and unfortunately, under the pressure from USC's attempted quarterback sack, he pitched his redemption pass to Seth uncharacteristically high, wobbly, and off its mark.

The stadium inhaled one collective breath and watched silently while Seth's legs worked their best effort deep down the field. He closed the gap enough that his arms extended, clutched the football, and came down hard with the USC defender wrapped around his back, the ball stayed tucked into his chest,... and his butt firmly planted in the endzone.

"Yes!!" I cheered loudly, although anything that left my mouth was swallowed up by the explosive noise around us.

Surged by the offensive go-ahead, the Huskies' defense put the game away to the absolute delight of almost the entire stadium.

"Well, fuck," Dad cursed as the game clock ticked down and gave the Huskies a 43-40 win.

"Jake played well." The solemn expressions Mom and Dad wore showed my words, which sounded as lame as they felt when I spoke them, were completely ineffective.

"Both quarterbacks played well," Dad surprised me with his response although disappointment clearly hung in his eyes. "I'll say it again, LT... uhh, Logan, is one of the most talented quarterbacks I've ever seen. If he stays clean and healthy, no doubt he'll get drafted."

The bleachers thundered around us as purple and white blurs of fans rushed onto the field, converged around the UW players, and joined in the celebration. Mom, Dad, and I sat in our seats but I snapped a few pictures on my phone, even zoomed in for a video as Logan celebrated with Wes, Darrius, even Emmitt.

"Honestly, I don't know what he wants," I confessed quietly and tucked my phone into my purse. "But, knowing Logan, if he had a plan in mind then he'd tell me."

Dad's only response was his mouth twisted towards his right cheek but he stood silently and scanned his eyes around the field.

"Jake's going to take this hard," Mom murmured, her eyes fixated on number seven's knelt down figure across the field near the Trojans' bench, his head tipped downward to his chest. A few USC teammates surrounded him, patted his shoulders, and walked to the sidelines.

"Let's hit the restrooms again, then wait outside and meet up with Jake," Dad suggested, stood up, and stretched his arms overhead. With a narrow-eyed look from me, he quickly added, "And Logan."

While we made our way up the stairs in the lower level section, Mom slipped her arm around my shoulder and hugged me tightly against her side. "Sorry we missed out on the Family Day events," her low tone sounded full of guilt. "And that we're leaving early tomorrow morning."

"It is what it is." I put one arm around her and hugged back, which wasn't easy as we climbed the cement stairs. "We'll make the most of tonight."

"Haven't forgotten you want to talk." Her eyes darkened slightly and her wistful smile turned downward.