Chapter 100: Logan

Coach Peterson cancelled Sunday's post-game recovery workout and film session before the Arkansas State game because of midterms. After we spoke with Jake, our only morning break was a rushed grocery store trip for just fresh fruits, vegetables, and eggs. In between a ridiculous number of selfie and autograph requests, Ellie agreed with me that she needed a distraction.

Once we'd put the groceries away in our kitchen, the sad look in Ellie's eyes was borderline adorable when she asked, "Are you okay with eating leftovers this week because of midterms?"

This girl.

"Of course," I replied because thawed and reheated Ellie leftovers still tasted better than most of what I made on my own.

After the rest of our usual Sunday routines were pushed aside with how we crammed for midterms, both of us needed a break when she came with me to the pool. The acidic smell of chlorine hit me right when I opened the doors at Pavilion Pool, located on the first floor of UW's Athletic Complex.

Ellie and I walked silently down white-walled hallways until we stopped at a large wall of windows. On the other side sat the indoor pool, divided into two pools with a walkway between them. The first pool was open for thirty yards, then divided into lanes, with what looked like -

"Are those bikes?" Ellie's nose pressed against the window and her breath puffed a small cloud of condensation on the glass. "Underwater? You didn't say we were doing that."

"I think we're on the other end," I mumbled while my eyes drifted to the second open area, where a small crowd of bodies floated in relaxed positions before I scanned around for the entrance. "Looks like the locker room doors are ahead, so see you out there."

"Can't wait," Ellie replied in a dry tone but pressed a soft kiss onto my cheek. Right when she stepped away, I reached out and swatted one palm into her butt, which released a squeak from her mouth and a pretend glare over her shoulder.

Once I changed and locked my bag of clothes into a locker, I followed the angry red-lettered 'Shower First' sign and showered lightly. With my towel flung over one shoulder, soft clicks of my flip flops into my heels, and my now soaked swim trunks clung heavily to my thighs, I followed the pool direction signs and palmed my hands into a silver-faced door.

Warm, chlorinated air hit my nostrils before I stepped any further and my eyes traveled to the Olympic-sized pool, where eight floating seniors peered up at me. Each one had a U-shaped colored pool noodle wrapped behind their upper backs and rested their hands on the ends. While I studied them, the door on the opposite side of the pool opened, my tiny girlfriend stepped out, and I shamelessly checked her out.

Ellie had pulled her long hair back into a braid down her back and the black one-piece bathing suit hugged every curve of her that wasn't displayed. She took slow, careful steps with her own flip flop clicks until she stood right next to me. A playful sparkle lit up her eyes while they dragged up and down my appearance, the weight of which heated up my skin.

"Oh my... Ovaltine!" One of the older ladies in the pool, with a pink bathing cap strapped onto her head, looked at me with wide eyes and her lips, oddly covered in a bright red lipstick, rounded.

Ellie snorted and quickly lifted her fist up to her mouth.

"Looks like we finally got some eye candy," another lady, tall and slender with barely saggy skin under her jawline, chirped up from the back row. "Really would've appreciated a pair of Speedos Handsome but the muscles are a nice view. Normally we just get Richard's saggy manboobs."

My cheeks actually warmed at the visual scrutiny and a tightness clenched my stomach. I looked over to poor Richard, the only man in the pool. He shook his bald head a few times but tossed me a small grin that read he was grateful for more testosterone in the pool.