Chapter 68: Ellie

"Say it again." Logan's mouth curled upwards from over his breakfast smoothie glass, which, yes, had hidden cauliflower inside the mango, banana, sweet potato, and carrot base.

"No." I rolled my eyes at his fourth attempt. "Three times is enough."

His hand was cold and slightly damp from his glass when he clamped his palm over mine. "I'll never get tired of hearing that."

I narrowed my eyes at him then took a bite of the warm oatmeal cranberry bake that I was surprised hadn't burned to a crisp with how Logan and I were in the shower. "So this ESPN interview, what's your opinion?"

"That I want the whole world knowing that you're mine," he replied casually, but his eyes twinkled over his fork while he shoved in his last bite of scrambled eggs. "So feel free to answer that to every question asked."

"You're shameless." I fought an urge to roll my eyes up to the ceiling. "But you think this is the best venue for us to talk about... us? I mean technically we've been officially dating what, two, three days?"

Feels like longer, at least.

Thankfully, Logan seemed like he shared the same thought process because he said, "Longer in my mind."

Before I responded, he switched to a slightly dismissive tone. "Plus people already know," he stated the obvious. "I'm in favor of anything that's more on our terms than the alternative. But I want you to be okay with that."

"Don't have much choice and wouldn't say I know what I'm getting into with media attention but I understand. I don't want any of my past mud slung into my face." I studied his face for a reaction when I added, "Which is why I emailed Mr. Reynolds."

"Really?" Logan's eyebrows lifted creases high into his forehead. "What did he say?"

"Good question. Let's see." I pushed up from my seat and grabbed my cell phone. After a few moments, I scrolled through my email and saw Mr. Reynolds had sent a two-word response.

Call me.

-D. Reynolds

"That." I lifted my phone into Logan's line of vision, then hit the call button.

"Hi Eleanor," Harper's Dad's voice greeted me on the second ring.

"Hi Mr. Reynolds, hope it's not too early." I flipped on the speaker setting, then laid my phone down on the table between me and Logan. "Logan's here too."

"Unlike the vampire under my roof, I'm a morning person. And I'm aware of your situation, congratulations." He chuckled quietly at whatever source, mostly like the one dead to the world so early on a Sunday morning, had informed him of our situation.

Despite whatever Mr. Reynolds knew from Harper, he prompted, "You two back together?"

"We are," Logan responded. "Which is why ESPN wants to interview us."

"Right." My phone crackled slightly and we heard a rough cough in the background. "I assume you're asking for my opinion, which is I'd advise against it."

Both Logan and I stared down at my phone in silence. Mr. Reynolds cleared his throat, then continued, "National exposure for Ellie isn't good, neither is inviting reporters to dig into your personal life... which they might do if you declined. Either way, I can't see this ending well, unless..."

I wasn't sure what alternative we had and prompted, "Unless what?"

"Unless I'm there." The phone crackled again as he sighed. "You have to stay away from anything about Ryder, the NDA terms are pretty straight-forward in what you can't say. I wouldn't even mention Santa Cruz if you can, other than paint things like a rival quarterback high school romance triangle that you've rekindled and hope that's enough diversion away from the real story."