Chapter 127: Logan

Within ten minutes of the post-game celebration for the PAC-12 Championship game, hands-down the biggest football game on the largest national-level stage I'd played in up to that point in my life, the game was completely wiped out of my mind.

I'd never flipped through stronger emotions in my life than I had when I thought Ellie had been taken, to when I went out with half the team in a search party through Allegiant Stadium with vague details that my girlfriend had gotten lost, then Darrius texted me that he'd found her, to when I reunited with her in my arms.

My relief was short-lived when Ellie relayed how the Stevens had threatened her, Jake, even me. Unfortunately, Darrius hadn't heard any of those words and only knocked on the door since all the other executive suites he'd checked were empty with the doors left open. And, like snakes, they slid out through the post-game crowd lines without being spotted by any of us who truly knew who they were.

My ego wanted nothing more than I was the one who found Ellie or sent Ryder to the hospital with another set of broken ribs. Once we left together, I settled for punching my left fist straight into Emmitt's right eye socket while he waited in the concourse hallway outside the exit for the team bus back to the hotel.

"That's for telling those pathetic excuses for humans where Ellie was," I gritted out and absently flicked my left hand's fingers a few times. By Ellie's soft gasp that hit my ear, I didn't even need to turn around to know this news was a surprise to her.

My left fingers twitched against the pain that radiated from my knuckles but I clenched my jaw tight and stood over Emmitt's crumpled form on the black striped carpet beneath us. Soft hands closed around my right fist, which I squeezed so tightly I was surprised the skin on that hand's knuckles hadn't ripped open.

Ellie's eyes met mine as she stepped in between us, then she knelt down next to Emmitt, who had all the nerve in the world at how tenderly he looked at Ellie. Red dots flashed over my eyes and my blood boiled inside my veins when he reached one hand up and cupped Ellie's cheek in his palm, then rasped out a pathetic apology.

"E-Ellie..." His voice was husky and broken but none of me felt sorry for him. "I'm sorry, I didn't -"

Ellie silenced him with one hand clamped over his mouth, then leaned forwards and spoke into his ear. My fists tightened until my nails dug into the flesh of my palms at the sight below me but Emmitt's eyes filled with remorse the more Ellie's lips moved, then she pulled back, stood up, and grabbed my right hand.

When we were a few steps away, a slight bump against my shoulder drew my attention to Jake's presence headed towards Emmitt. His dark eyes narrowed into thin slits, his skin was flushed red, nostrils flared, and an angry vein popped out of the side of his neck. He turned his head in our direction, then grumbled, "Haven't done this since high school."

Before Ellie or I answered, Jake turned to Emmitt and roared out, "Asshole! You even fucking think about touching my sister and -"

"Oh boy." Ellie tugged my hand further down the concourse hallway, where our family converged on her in a small, huddled crowd of hugs and sighs of relief.

I stepped back and leaned against a nearby wall, my arms crossed over my chest and body sagged with relief. After a few assurances from Mom and Brody and follow-up promises from Mr. Reynolds, Ellie was back where she belonged, wrapped up in my arms.

My left hand thumped numbly from residual pain but I ignored it, tugged Ellie closer, and pressed a soft kiss on the top of her head. One calm, slow breath of her fruity shampoo was all I needed before my eyes closed and my pulse returned to normal.

"Hey." I opened my eyes and searched Ellie's expression for a reaction. "What did you say to Emmitt?"

Ellie's cheeks flushed pink but the smile and curled finger gesture she gave me drew me down. Her breath warmly washed over my ear when she murmured, "I told to have a nice life and stay the fuck out of mine. I told him that he didn't lose any chance with me because he never had one, that you are and always have been it for me."