Chapter-24|Late Night Conversations

Walking into the kitchen, my heart almost stopped

"What are you doing here?" I asked as I started to recognize the silhouette.

"I was thirsty." Iris told me.

She was reaching towards the cabinet above her head in the dark. This is the first time she has entered the kitchen, and I am surprised she even found the kitchen.

"Oh. Okay." I said, turning on the lights and walked towards her.

"Let me help you." I said, standing behind her and opened the cabinet above her head to take out the glass.

"Okay." Her voice was a lot lighter now.

Walking towards the refrigerator, I took out a water bottle as she leaned against the countertop, staring at me.

"I'm surprised you found the kitchen." I said, turning back and placed the water-filled glass in front of her.

"Riley pointed out different things when we entered the house. She also mentioned the kitchen." She said, shrugging, and took the glass. After taking a few sips from it, she placed it back on the counter, and I realized she wasn't really thirsty.

"You can't sleep, can you?" I asked her softly, making her head snap up to me.

Raking a hand through her hair, she mumbled, "No."

Walking towards her, I came to a stop in front of her and placed my hands on her waist. Curling my hands for a better grip, I picked her up and placed her on the counter, making her squeal a little in surprise.

Stepping between her legs, I circled my arms around her waist and moved my thumb back and forth on her back to provide comfort.

"What is it?" I asked, jumping straight to the point.

"It's nothing." She said, placing her hands on my shoulder.

"Come on. You didn't wanna come? You don't like my family? You are jealous of Storm? What is it?" I asked, adding the last part to tease her.

"What? No!" she said, laughing.

"Thank goodness. I would have asked you to leave if you were jealous of Storm." I said with a fake, relieved expression.

"I'm not jealous of Storm but you will be when he loves me more than he loves you." She said, flicking her hair off of her shoulder.

"Oh no, mam. That's not gonna happen." I said confidently.

"Just wait." She told me with a smirk and then a silence fell upon us where I waited for her to tell me and she collected her strength.

"When you were talking to your family at the door, I got a message from my parents. They are coming to LA next weekend." She said, sighing and saying I understand her situation is a lie.