Chapter-40|Mommy Dearest

I know it hurts a lot when the love of your life cheats on you, but I would argue that it hurts equally, if not more, when your mother treats you like you don't exist

"What do you want, mom?" I say, sighing.

"Why do I have to want something to call my daughter?" She sounds offended. "Can't a mother just want to talk to her daughter?"

I roll my eyes at her words before sighing and saying, "Yes, a mother can, but not you."

A gasp comes from the other side and I know I have effectively pissed her off and it's not even been a full minute since I picked up the call.

"Iris Lily Reed, don't you dare talk to me like that?" She says in a strong and furious voice.

I audibly sigh out to calm myself. "Look, we both know this is not gonna be a heart-to-heart, so why don't you just tell me what you want and we can both get on with our lives?"

"Oh good god, what has happened to you?" She says, sounding horrified. I simply roll my eyes, knowing how melodramatic she is.

When I say nothing in return, she awkwardly clears her throat. "Anyway, I simply called to remind you of the annual gala."

Oh, fuck. Not this again.

"Mom... I'm not even in New York. Can't I just skip the ball this year?" I try to excuse myself, my voice filled with hope.

"No. Not at all." She says, and I know that there's no way for me to skip it. I can always make a choice and not go, but then, she'll probably land here in LA afterward and create a big scene and honestly, I would rather torture myself with a few hours of fake sweetness than her being in LA.

"Fine. I'll be there." I say, my voice blank. "Send me the dates."

"Yeah, I will." I am about to hang up, but then her next words stop me. "I look forward to meeting you and that new boy toy of yours."

I take a moment to consider if I heard her wrong, but knowing my mom, she's very capable of saying something like that.

"My new boy toy?" I say, and my voice depicts exactly how I feel. Like I don't know what the hell she's talking about.

"Oh, yeah. What's his name?" She hums as she tries to remember the name. "Ah, yes. Ethan Knight."

Her words shock me. I know my mom holds no respect for all my relationships because she wants to see me with Chase, but calling him my 'boy toy' has got to be a new low.

I stop myself from taking Ethan's name, knowing he's standing just a few steps away from me.

"He's not my boy toy." I say, but don't bother to define our relationship because I know she doesn't care. "How do you even know about him?" The question comes to my mind as an afterthought.