Chapter-34|Euphoria

Stopping the car outside the basketball house, I take in a deep breath

Stopping the car outside the basketball house, I take in a deep breath. I can't believe I'm about to do this. Is it too late to duck?

I shake my head with a frown on my face when my thoughts register in my brain. I can't chicken out now. Taking in a deep breath, I step out of the comforts of my car and walk towards the door.

With each step that I take towards the main door, my breathing turns harsher as more questions fill my head. Doing what I am about to do this morning when he was sitting right in front, in the comforts of his arms, would have been so much easier, but now that I'm alone, I can't take comfort in anything.

I wish I could say that I reached the door before I know it, but that's a lie. I could tell you about every step I took towards this door in great detail. To me, it felt like the weather changed with every step. One moment it's bright summer where my mind is running on thoughts of us, lying happily on the beach and the next moment, it's raining down heavily on me and we're far away from each other, drowning in our own sorrows.

After what feels like an eternity, I am standing in from of the door with my hand raised, ready to knock. Taking a deep breath, I knock and wait.

I hope someone else opens the door, but then again; I don't want to have this conversation in Ethan's room because if he rejects me, running away from his room would be a little more awkward than turning around and walking down the steps of his house.

Before I could decide what I want, the door opens to reveal Ethan with a rugged look on his face, like he was already on the verge of passing out. Maybe this isn't the best time to do this, considering everything happening back at his home.

"Iris?" He wonders out loud and looks behind me, probably to see if I brought along Dani or Riley and it's a group thing.

"Hey..." I say, awkwardly. "I wanted to talk to you."

"Do you wanna come inside?" He asks, stepping aside.

I think for a while, deciding what's better. Soon, I come to a decision. Doorstep is equal to faster escape.

"No, I think I'm-I'm good here." I say, slipping a little as my hands fiddle with each other.

"Are you okay? Is Riley okay?" He asks, his voice laced with concern.

"Yeah, she's fine. I mean, of course, she's not fine with everything going on but you know, she's fine." I try to explain before groaning when I realize that I probably make no sense. "God, this is a disaster."

"Hey, relax." He says, stepping out and closes the door behind him. "It's just you and me."

Taking a deep breath, I realize I need to do it now before I decide it's better to leave it.

"For the next five minutes, I am going to speak and you'll not utter a single word." I say, seriously, and hold up a finger, seeing amusement flash across his face.