Chapter 12

Okay. Hey, hello and welcome. I just wanted to say that I appreciate feedback very much, so let me know what you're thinking and maybe leave a vote if you feel generous today. 

Happy reading! 

------------

The podium felt tensed. Daniel couldn't bring himself to smile, but honestly, Joanna understood. Lewis on the other hand was beaming with pride and joy. He was cocky enough to simply try a kiss on Charlene's cheek, which caused him a surprised look from the princess, but she was fast to smile at him, while the fans cheered. 

Joanna returned the gentle expression as the princess handed her the trophy. The other woman placed her hand on Joanna's shoulder before whispering to her. "I'm glad to be able to see a woman up here." 

The Austrian only nodded. Somehow totally caught up in her own head. What once gave her great comfort fails now to do so. Quite the contrary. How curious. 

-----------

The Red Bull party after the race in Monaco was a tradition. A tradition that Joanna always made sure to hold in honor. This night in Monaco it didn't matter to which team you belonged or what car you drove, as long as you had a name in F1, you were invited. Joanna had gotten her first invention back in 2008 and since then there was no year she wouldn't attend. It was fun, all the people from the grid chilling out together, dancing, drinking, it was always great.

Sebastian was standing in the doorway of her bedroom, watching her through the mirror, as she checked her makeup one last time, before putting her rings on. The German was glad they made up after their little misunderstanding in Spain. In favor of their rekindled relationship, Sebastian didn't say a word about the team orders today. He knew that Joanna had asked for them, despite their promise to never do something like that to each other, but on the track, they were fighting for every point. 

Having that in mind, he didn't ask about the hickeys all around her neck, or why there were two toothbrushes next to the sink out of a sudden. The raiser ignored as well. Normally, Sebastian doesn't have to ask these things, Joanna simply told him, but something was different this time. That the second toothbrush was in her bathroom was indicator enough.

In all the time Sebastian already knew Joanna Lauda, she rarely had a relationship. She wasn't the type, which enjoyed the company of other people in her most private space. She disliked it most when she didn't have control in her own home, so Joanna had one-nightstands when she felt like it but otherwise kept to herself. She thought it was best this way, even though a lot of people worried. Joanna was too controlled most of the time. Sebastian thought it had something to do with her childhood.

Joanna Lauda grew up in a monastery school. Her father wasn't interested in the girl for which he had to take responsibility after a one-nightstand. Her mother a prostitute, which is why the woman is never mentioned. Not even the media knew about Joanna's mother or her profession. It was better that way. Originally, Joanna had started karting to get her father's attention.

Funnily, it seemed like the talent her half-siblings lacked was running through her veins. The young Austrian had a name and talent, the first sponsor didn't take long until he noticed the girl who was still called Johanna at the time, but with the change of scenery also came the little change in her name, which meant so much more than people could ever think.

One day, after Joanna had told Sebastian all these little private things about herself, he asked her if she even liked racing, which caused Joanna to look at him, with a pained expression before replying that she was a double champion. Until today he is waiting for the answer. The answer he will never get. Because it would mean that Joanna must face the truth. And the truth was ugly. All she ever did was to get her father's attention. A father, who never wanted her, a father who is embarrassed about her existence, and a father, who will never be proud of his bastard.