Chapter 54

So, hello. As usual, I don't know what to say. But I wanted to let you know I started another project as well. It's still in the writing process and a lovely friend of mine works on the cover but it might be worth checking out when I start publishing it. So just a headstart. I will continue this story, so no worries. Let me know what you think and enjoy this chapter. 

--------------

Watching Max from across the table Joanna bit her lip gently, while she half-listened to what he told her about his sister's new boyfriend over dinner. The Austrian knew from the beginning that it would come to this eventually. She had already put off her duties long enough. They were expecting her in Paris, but she had made a vow to Max that she would not disappear again. 

It was a promise Joanna couldn't simply break, but she was needed. The progress was slower without her there and people were unhappy with the uncertainty over the remaining seats of the council. They expected her to finally make a decision. 

"I need to be in Paris tomorrow," Joanna told him, which caused Max to stop mid-sentence, the fork hovering between the plate and Max's face. 

"So, you're leaving. Again." He accused before he put the fork down and took his plate to walk into the kitchen. Turning around to face him walking away, Joanna frowned. 

"I want you to come with me. Let us spend some time away. I'm sure it will do us good." Joanna offered as she followed him into the kitchen. Sometimes she asked herself why they always had the most important conversations in their kitchen. 

"So what? I'm waiting for you while you're at work. I can do that at home as well." Max spat, causing Joanna to touch his shoulder in order to make him face her. The Austrian tried her harder to not get annoyed by Max's bratty behavior, he had every right to be unhappy with the situation after all. 

"I just have to go through some things and I need to be at a meeting. The rest of the time we can do whatever you would like. Eating out, visiting museums, and going for walks. We could even hit the clubs if you really want to." She promised and Max seemed to think for a moment. He was sick of Monaco anyways. Staying so long in one place made him itch for something new so a trip to Paris didn't sound like the worst possibility. 

He would definitely make sure to lean into the age difference for once and let Joanna pay for the drinks. Not that she never paid when they went out but he felt like she owned him a drink for bringing him with her to Paris and then leaving him on their vacation due to work and other obligations. 

"So you would leave me for a day or so and do whatever I want for the rest of the trip?" He asked to clarify, causing Joanna to look at him, her eyebrows pulled together. 

"Now I feel like offering that was a bad idea ... but yes, or you could come with me as well. See where I work." She offered, causing Max to look at her unsure. He wasn't a fan of the FIA HQ. Every time he's there he gets his ass handed to himself for some shit he pulled, but vacation sounded good.  

"Just the two of us?" Max checked again. 

"Of course. Well, we will have to see other council members when we're at the HQ but that's it." She promised him, a hand over her heart while she had lifted the other one, causing Max to smile before he shook his head. 

"Okay then." He finally agreed, causing Joanna to smile. 

Joanna had had to keep an eye on Max the whole night in case he sneaked off to the liquor cabinet and decided to ease his nerves with some alcohol, something he really liked to do when one of his father's visits was due or he had to go and see the FIA council for fucking up on the track.