Chapter 48

So hello, I thought it was time for another update. I don't really have anything to say for myself (you will understand after reading this). Feel warned. I don't really know how to go on from where this chapter leaves off so it could be quite a while. Let me know what you think and enjoy reading!

------------

Joanna didn't remember when or how she managed to get back to her apartment. Far too coughed up in the fact that Max had kicked her out, just like that. They were fighting, then kissing and before she knew it she was standing outside of his apartment, with her shirt and jacket in hand. For a moment she thought about knocking against Max's door until he would open just to demand an explanation but, in the end, she simply went home. When Max didn't want to see her, she had to accept that.

As soon as Joanna entered her own apartment, she left herself fall down onto her sofa, that she still had to clean the broken glass and frame away was a fact Joanna was reminded of as she stepped on some shards of glass which made terrible noises under her boots but to be true, she couldn't care any less.

She ignored his phone the entire day after that. Alain had already threatened to send some to check on her, but she didn't answer his threat. She knew they waited for her to confirm the council seats, but she couldn't care any less at the moment. Whenever the phone rang a feeling of nausea came over her. At first, it had only been Alain but then Nico and her father started to call as well.

Joanna got angry and grabbed her phone, ready to chuck it off the balcony. At the last moment, she decided against that and paced around his apartment for what felt like hours to figure out a different solution. In the end, the phone ended up in a box in one of her many cupboards.

Walking into the bathroom, Joanna was fast to find the bottles she was looking for. Fuck it, if he doesn't want her, what was the point in holding on?

Swallowing another six pills, the younger Ferrari driver waited a moment before they kicked in. Before she left the bathroom, only to steady herself with a hand against the wall.

Maybe she had underestimated the effect of the pills she had taken, but the sleeping medication had already lost enough effect that she woke up, so they shouldn't be a problem. The dizziness was probably a side effect of the strong antidepressants. Never before had Joanna worried about unwanted side effects. She hoped the dizziness would stop.

Her thoughts drifted off to the race she still had to compete in a few days. The last race of the year. It would be irresponsible to race despite feeling dizzy, but Joanna couldn't rule out doing it anyway. Who would stop her? Certainly not Ferrari. She had been their hero ever since she had won three races in a row in that stupid red tractor. Nobody at Ferrari cared that she was high as hell while doing so, although Joanna was sure they knew. It was hard not to notice the state the Austrian was in.

Making her way into the living room, Joanna took the already open bottle of red wine before sipping from it. Pressing a hand against her fast-beating heart, she tried to get up again. Her brittle heart was not beating like Joanna was sued to. It felt cold and shattered, with every heartbeat creating more cracks around the cuts. Such a traitor.

Her skin was itching, but she ignored it. She had places to be, no time to be weak. She had a job to do. PR work, if she remembered correctly, or was it a meeting with the team?

Joanna steeled herself, so the world couldn't harm her any longer. It may be lonely, but in that case, the only one with the power to destruct her was her and her alone. Joanna liked that feeling. She felt free, despite knowing she was only one overdose away from joining Jules.

Stumbling over her own feet, Joanna ended up on the fluffy living room rug. Cursing the world for spinning that fast, before she fell asleep. The only thought she had was that the fucking red wine would make stains on her white rug. This was going to look like a fucking crime scene.