Chapter 30

Hello. Despite what I thought, I did have some time to work on my projects. So, here we go. Things are getting complicated, but I hope you enjoy it, nevertheless. I don't know if I've ever mentioned it, but English isn't my first language. Just so you know. 

------------

Back at home, Joanna couldn't believe that she really managed to wait so long until she took the test. Waiting for Max to be away with his friends was cruel, Joanna knew that but it was her body after all and she needed time to understand her own situation before she could tell Max.

Of course, the Dutch wasn't happy to leave Joanna at home when she wasn't feeling well, but the Austrian had insisted that Max needed to celebrate his birthday with his friends and that they would simply have their own little party as soon as he would be back.

As soon as Max was gone, Joanna went to do the grocery shopping for the time they would be at home, despite her still not eating much at all, which she knew she needed to change for the baby to be healthy, and picked a few tests up at the pharmacy.

Returning to their apartment, Joanna originally wanted to take the test right away, but in the end, she found thousand other things she had to do before she could do the test. Like doing the dishes from breakfast today, checking the water quality in the spa area, despite having no idea. Normally someone was coming over once a week to check on it. Nevertheless, Joanna tried to do that and she cleaned every window in the apartment, which were quite a few floor-to-ceiling windows.

Finally, after having deep cleaned the whole house and some of the garden, Joanna decided that all of this was ridiculous enough for a day, so she went into the kitchen to get the test from where she had left them on the kitchen counter only to take on of them with her to the bathroom.

Exhaling slowly Joanna looked down at the test one more after she exited the bathroom. The Austrian only frowned more at the test as if it was personally offending her, before putting it down on the couch table and setting a timer.

"Please ..." Joanna muttered but she wasn't sure what she was asking for. A pregnancy that will end her carrier or for the change of having a baby to slip away. After what happened with her first baby, the doctor had told Joanna that a pregnancy would be a miracle and that she should not expect to be able to conceive a child ever again. Her body turned toxic after losing her first child.

Maybe she wanted this little bean to be her miracle.

Shoving the little stick a little bit wider away from her, Joanna leaned back into the soft cushions of the couch. Glancing at the picture of her and Max, next to each other smiling this year in Spain on the podium, which was standing right before the television. A framed picture of the first ultrasound would go well with the picture.

Swallowing hard, Joanna wasn't sure if she really should tell Max about the baby. He only turned nineteen, she didn't want to destroy his life with a child he most likely never wanted. They've talked about this. Well, Joanna's position on that topic was different than it is now because she most likely is carrying a child, but Max had been clear. He didn't want children. Or at least he would live his life without children for Joanna. But things were different now.

Not telling him at all was still an option. Not much longer, but for now, it was. But what's the plan then? Simply vanishing? As if she never existed? That would never work, not with Max of all people. He wouldn't give up on her. Sadly, she didn't put it past herself to just get on a plane and never come back. Maybe that was the smartest move until the kid is old enough to ask about its father and then Max surely would hate her for denying him his child for years.