SEQUEL - Chapter 10

So here we go. This chapter is a little bit longer for a change. Hope you enjoy reading it ;)

<><><><><><><><><><>

Stopping the car, Joanna looked over at Daniel, who hadn't talked the whole drive. He had just watched the world as they drove to the graveyard. The last time she had visited Jules was too long ago, he deserved better treatment from his family, even though they tried to go on with their life, Jules is and will always be a part of their world.

Looking down at the bouquet of flowers Daniel was holding, he gave a sad smile, before exhaling. He reached over and squeezed Joanna's hand before the both of them got out of the car. Walking over the cemetery always felt wrong. They were too young to have some of their friends buried here already. But the gods of racing were never merciful. They had learned that the hard way.

Following Daniel, Joanna looked at the tombstones some of them weren't there the last time she had visited Jules. On their graves, the flowers were still fresh. Death was a strange concept to Joanna. She had lost two babies but they weren't buried. She hadn't wanted it back then. The thought that Jules kept them company now was the only thought she ever allowed herself to think.

Finally reaching Jules's grave, Joanna noticed the fresh flowers, seems like his mother still visited once a week. Reaching out to take Joanna's hand, Daniel put down the flowers next to the ones which were already there before straightening up again while Joanna moved to light the candles, they had brought with them.

"You know, I still wonder if he's at peace wherever he's now," Daniel said, his eyes on Jules's name engraved in the gravestone, his hand tightly holding onto Joanna's.

"I have to believe that he is." The Austrian answered as a silent tear slid down her cheek. Death has seemingly always surrounded her. Her sons, Jules, her father. Sometimes she wondered who would be next. How much more she could take before it would be here laying here for Daniel to visit. She never voiced that thought, but it seemed to be an ever-present weight in her brain nowadays.

"Have you cried?" Daniel suddenly asked which caused Joanna to look up to him.

"About Jules? Many nights." She admitted but Daniel shook his head.

"I'm speaking about Max. I heard crying actually helps. I'm not trying to be cruel ... I just. I don't know how to help you." The Aussie said causing Joanna to rest her head on his shoulder, her glance on Jules's grave, their hands still holding onto each other tightly.

"You don't need to help me, Daniel. I'm brave. Just make sure I don't have to worry about you so much any longer." Joanna said softly causing Daniel to rest his hand on hers which was holding his other one tightly.

"I survived too much to give up now." The Aussie joked, before smiling at Joanna. "But do promise me that I can die before you. I don't want to have to visit the both of you here."

"No promise made." The Austrian answered before they both muttered their goodbye and made their way back to Joanna's Mercedes.

"Are you flying to Paris?" Daniel wanted to know, but Joanna wasn't actually sure she should. There were so many things she had to take care of for her father. The Austrian still hadn't decided which properties she would sell and which she would keep. So, an FIA meeting could surely wait, but there were also a lot of things she needed to take care of. Her father's seat had fallen to her and even though a few years have passed since they installed the council, Joanna still hadn't named any further candidates for her seats. So, the answer was yes, she would spend her summer break working and all the time she had in between.