Chapter 33

Hello, so I don't know. The race yesterday was just ... I really don't know. Felt like I should say something. Let me know what you think. About the race, the chapter, whatever. I'm here for a chat. Enjoy the chapter and have a nice day! 

----------

"Remind me never to argue with you again. I love your pool." Daniel said, floating a little bit on his back, before swimming to the pool edge again, where Joanna was sitting. Her legs dangled into the water, but she preferred to stay on the edge, not really motivated to go into the water for now.

"Thanks, asshole. Love you too." She replied, which caused Daniel to snicker, his arms propped up on the edge of the pool with his head resting on his arms, his eyes following Joanna.

"Thanks, by the way. For dealing with Niki." Daniel said while splashing a little bit with his feet, which caused Joanna to smirk at him.

"My father, my responsibility." She told him with the shrug of her shoulder. But Daniel wanted to argue. She always did that, Joanna always felt like she was responsible for the world and that's why so many people looked up to her and loved her, but Daniel knew that one day it will be her downfall. One day, Joanna will realize that she can't save everybody and she will suffer greatly. Daniel only hoped at being there for her and supporting Joanna will be enough should that day come.

"Have you ... does Max know that I ... well, like both?" He changed the topic, a pained expression resting on his handsome face, but he relaxed a little bit as he saw Joanna shake her head.

"Really isn't my place to tell him, huh?" She said and Daniel wanted to reply, but hearing the door which led to the Spa open stopped him. Daniel watched Joanna as she looked over to the door only to smile. A genuine and sincere smile that Daniel hasn't seen for a while.

Joanna was always very controlled. Her emotions were not something she wanted to show the world without a filter, which is why her smile in the paddock is always a bit muted, but in private Joanna was exactly how the fans imagined the Austrian to be. Daniel knew that many of the other drivers claimed that Joanna was only pretending, that she wore a mask, but when she felt safe and was surrounded by people she trusted unconditionally, then he saw the young Austrian again, eating pizza with him and Jules competitively until neither of them could move anymore.

Daniel was glad to see her like that, but it also hurt. They would never again eat pizza until they couldn't move any longer, not with Jules missing. Sometimes Daniel was jealous of Joanna. She didn't lose the love of her life, she still was able to have all these little and big moments with Max. He was jealous, but in the end, Daniel knew that Joanna deserved happiness more than anyone else on this fucked up planet.

"Took you long enough," Joanna said with fake annoyance, as Max sat down next to her only wearing his swim trunks and a Red Bull T-shirt.

"Oh, I'm so terribly sorry, your majesty. Can you ever again forgive me?" Rolling her eyes, Joanna got hold of his shirt, before pulling him closer. She was smiling, Daniel could see that she was enjoying the banter between the two of them, but in the last moment, before kissing the Dutch, she glanced at Daniel for a second and then let go of Max's shirt.

"God damn it, Joanna," Daniel muttered. "Just kiss him, I will survive seeing some affection between my friends." He added, which caused Max to look at him amused, while Joanna seemed a little bit embarrassed.

"Hey, Dan." Max greeted his teammate then, watching as Daniel nodded at him once in greeting with a cheeky smile like usual.

"Are you going to join me, because your woman seems quite content in the dry?" The Aussie said after a moment in which Max and Joanna shared a look Daniel didn't understand.