SEQUEL - Chapter 43

So, this is the 100th published part of this story. A story I started about 2 years ago. I don't really know what to say. We are entering a new era with this chapter, an era I will enjoy greatly I think and I hope you guys will too. I hope you enjoy this chapter and wish you a happy read. So as always. Cheers!

<><><>

Joanna was sure she would miss this that least in the beginning. Waking up on a quiet November morning, the cold wind outside moving the branches of the trees gently while the last leaves turned colour and gently sail to the ground. She will miss the sound of drizzly rain tapping against their window, soon the wails of a baby would wake up the whole house or hopefully his sounds of delight. She will miss the soft light of autumn sunshine on her face which gently woke her up, fighting its way through the wild and rolling clouds.

Laying on her side, facing Max, she pulled her blanket up a bit to protect her from the gentle cold that was resting itself over them, the warmth from the blanket cocoon she had been sleeping in soothing her sore muscles. Gently reaching out Joanna cupped Max's cheek, a smile blooming on her lips. She was so glad he was back home. Even though she had reassured him over and over again that the date of birth was still a few days ago, she couldn't deny that she had been so very uneasy while Max was away in Brazil.

In Brazil where he had won the race as he had promised her, for their son. A little welcoming present, which caused Joanna to smile and shake her head fondly at him as he told her that on their last video call while he was getting on the plane to come back home.

But now he was home, there was no reason to fear that she would have to go through it all alone. Max was here with her now and she knew that he would not leave her side until their baby would be born.

"Why are you awake already?" Max muttered, not opening his eyes, but moving his hand to rest on top of Joanna's before pulling it from his face and pressing a gentle kiss on top of her knuckles. Joanna watched with a soft and loving smile as Max did not give her hand free again, but simply pulled their joined hands to rest against his chest, holding her hand warm under the blanket.

"I thought about a light breakfast." She told him. "I take it you rather stay here. It took you half the night before you came to join me." The Austrian added, causing Max to open his eyes to look at his fiancée.

"I finished the crib and then didn't want to leave the rest for the morning," Max told her which caused Joanna to raise an eyebrow.

"You finished the nursery?" She wondered which caused the Dutchman to nod against his pillow.

"It's not like we don't need it asap." Max said.

Well, this was a welcome surprise for sure. Joanna had been so excited to finally see the nursery complete, but now it gave her a feeling of uncertainty. That makes it so real, not that her growing belly and the kicks weren't enough, but the finished nursery gave her a sense of finalisation. Now it wouldn't be much longer, and they would hold their son in their arms. A stranger which then belonged to their family. A human being they were responsible for.

"Are you okay?" Max asked while reaching over to gently touch Joanna's belly but the Austrian pulled back to get out of bed.

"Course." She told him, while the Dutchman looked up at her standing by their bed, his arm still stretched out over her side of the bed, the blanket moved to pool around his waist.

"I will go and see how far Patrick is with the planting." She then said and turned to walk towards the closet, while Max sat up to watch her, his longer hair hanging into his face which he pushed away with a simple movement of his hand.