SEQUEL - Chapter 41

So, hello there. I'm happy to say that this is the last chapter before a significant time jump. I thought about this and now is the time, I'm really looking forward to it. I hope you enjoy this chapter, it's pure madness and I take no hate for what I did to people or how I described the view on things characters have. Opinions here do not have to be mine, you know the drill, I'm just in charge of the entertainment. I hope you enjoy it, please let me know what you think, about whatever really, and I'm still not checking grammar. Cheers!

<><><>

"Please excuse my late arrival, something came up," Joanna said as she approached the table which was set up on the balcony overlooking the garden which caused Max to get up from his seat next to his mother, before walking over the few steps to kiss Joanna's cheek, his arm moving to rest around Joanna's back.

"No harm done. We barely started." Max promised her. "Something I should know about?" The Dutchman wanted to know which caused Joanna to refocus her attention form apologizingly smiling at their guests to seriously looking at Max.

"Yes." She admitted, before making a throw away gesture with her hand. "But it's nothing that can't wait for now. I will tell you later..." The voice Joanna used while talking to Max was flat. A bit monotone and emotionless but still smooth and gentle, almost honeyed, overall pleasant to listen to.

"..For now, I think some introductions are in order." But then her tone suddenly changing in something Sophie had heard before, close to the voice she used with the media. Animated and airy, quite a bit more livid. Not overplayed, but after hearing the tome she had just used with Max, Sophie was under the impression that this was a softer form of Joanna's stage voice. She knew that many people had that, that it was common to speak differently, use a professional voice and a private voice, but it spoke volumes that the Austrian decided to change her voice, Max's closest relatives not counting to her inner circle.

"Yeah, of course." Max agreed easily, he was never one to make a difference, at least his mother wouldn't be aware of it, if he did.

"Mum." He addressed her first.

"May I introduce Joanna Elisabeth Lauda." He spoke, while gently shoving Joanna in front of him so that Sophie could see the Austrian in all her glory, pregnant as she was, but Sophie had learned that much already from the media, which had hurt quite a bit. Nevertheless, she got up from her seat and offered the younger woman her hand, who had looked at Max with a hint of uncertainty as to how to react before Sophie decided to offer her hand.

The Austrian gave a media trained smile, but to be honest Sophie hadn't expected much more from the Mercedes driver – Joanna was known for a lot of things around the paddock, but for being overly trusting or openhearted was not upon these things – before she reached for the offered hand to shake.

"It's nice to finally meet you, you have a wonderful home, thank you for having us." Sophie spoke politely while Max, Victoria and Tom watched the exchange quietly.

"Thank you, I'm glad you could make it. Please, make yourself at home." The Austrian told them, before inviting everyone who was standing to get back into their seats with a gesture of her hand, before she took her seat in between Tom and Max.

"In a fucking castle, I can't wait." Victoria muttered next to Tom, which caused Joanna to look over at her, an eyebrow raised in amusement.

"Victoria." Joanna said singling out the youngest Verstappen, before titling her head to the left. "How are you, we haven't seen each other in a while." She pointed out which caused the younger Verstappen to lift her glass to take a sip so she wouldn't say the first thing which came to her mind, before setting it down again and smiling at the Austrian.