Chapter 29

Author's Note:

Hey. I'm so bored and uninspired at the moment, you won't believe it. Nevertheless, here is a new chapter for you to enjoy. This is also a little warning, I won't have much time in the next week or so to write, so there won't be many chapters, but I'm not stopping. It's just a warning. Two weeks max. I promise. Have a nice day. And maybe let me know if you have any ideas. Would be fun! 

------------

Closing the door behind Daniel after they've spoken a little bit longer about other things than her father or Jules, it was nice to have Daniel back. There was a reason she considered him her annoying little, but older brother after all.

Joanna got her phone, only to text Max that Daniel had left and that they were cool again. His reply was a thumbs up and a little text, telling her that he would come over in about half an hour, which caused Joanna to send a thumbs-up back this time. Before carelessly throwing her phone on the bed and making her way over to the bathroom. Max had a keycard to her room after all.

Leaving the shower, Joanna wrapped herself tightly in a fluffy white hotel towel. Before reaching out to wipe over the fogged mirror. She watched her own reflection for a moment. A few marks from kart crashes were adoring her skin, but they've healed a long time ago. Sometimes she wondered if all the scratches and scars she had on her soul would ever show on her body, but her skin was unmarked except for the freckles around her nose.

Putting her hand on her still flat belly, Joanna wondered if people were able to see a change in her just yet. Maybe it was obvious for all around them but Max and Joanna. God, she hoped Max had no idea, but then again she didn't know if she wanted Max to know or not to know. Both seemed to be difficult.

The other flaws she couldn't stop herself from seeing are the dark circles under the eyes. Mindlessly, she touched the soft skin under her eyes while holding the towel tightly wrapped around her body with the other hand. Pinching the skin on her cheekbones for a moment, Joanna watched the movement of the door in the mirror only to show Max leaning against the doorframe, looking at Joanna with a found expression. The Austrian couldn't stop herself from smiling as Max took a step forward and wrapped his arms around her middle. Which made Joanna's breath catch in her throat.

"Oh, wow. A present for me to unwrap?" He questioned. Brushing her hair from one side to the other to have better access to her neck. Pressing soft kisses all over her throat.

"Eager much today?" Joanna replied trying her best to relax into his touch. There was no way for Max to know but her eyes were still on their reflection in the mirror. 

"When not?" Max said an amused grin on his face. 

They looked good together. Max wrapped around her back and looking over her shoulder. It was so fitting, it felt uncomfortable. She couldn't stop herself from wondering. Daniel barely survived Jules's death. What would happen to them? And with a baby. She couldn't do that. Joanna never really had something to fight for in her private life and now there would be two human beings she belonged to, it fucking scared her.

"I met Daniel. He seemed tired but relieved. Was your talk okay?" Max said after a moment in which he watched Joanna reaching out for her toothbrush, causing Max to let go of Joanna.

"We're good again. I might need to murder my father though." She said, watching Max undress from the corner of her eye while starting to brush her teeth. The Dutch stopped in his movements, only to laugh and shake his head, which caused Joanna to turn around to him. 

"What?" She wanted to know. 

"You and committing murder. I was going to say you're not made for prison, but you'll probably run the place by the time you can leave." Max said, which caused Joanna to turn around and box his shoulder. Not hard enough to actually hurt him, but it was to get a message across.