SEQUEL - Chapter 15

So, it's official. I can't write reasonable long chapters any longer, but it guss you guys will enough that fact. What is there to say, not much I would guess. Let me know what you think. Enjoy the chapter. Cheers. 

<><><>

They were moving under the spotlight of singled out streetlamps. Always one streetlamp apart from each other. The wet streets were glittering under the warm orange light, and the world smelled of freshly fallen rain. It was silent, everybody seemed to be asleep making it a perfect night for a pair of lovers to have a nightly walk, Joanna wanted to laugh at the irony.

"Max," Joanna called as she ran after the Dutchman, who was angrily stalking away, not slowing down for the Austrian to catch up to him or even stopping. He was furious with her, and Joanna understood. She didn't want to tell him like this, it was never her intention to hurt him, but now it was out in the open, it wasn't a secret any longer and she desperately wanted a chance to explain things to him, to tell him why she did what she felt was right.

Huffing displeased about the situation, Joanna pulled her jacket closer around her body, only for her hands to hide under her armpits for warmth. The freshly fallen rain had brought a harsh wind.

"Max, please," Joanna called again, her breath coming out uneven as she stopped, her hands resting on her knees as she bent over. "Can you just stop moving for a moment? I can't so fast." She called out again helplessly, which caused Max to turn around harshly, before stalking back over to her, an angry snarl on his face, and an accusing index finger pointing at her. With one more step, he had moved into her personal space, causing Joanna to take one back as their noses nearly touched, surprised by his sudden movement. 

"You're always the same. Every time I think that something could change, that giving you up is the fucking worst mistake I will ever do in my life, you prove me fucking wrong." Max yelled at her, unhappily. The quiet atmosphere of the night destroyed.

"You told me about your mother, and I thought 'Yeah, she's opening up to you. No more big secrets between us. This is her tryingMaybe it's worth another try. Maybe I can risk my heart for her, for us once more.' Seems like I was wrong again." The Dutchman added, which caused Joanna to straighten up, finally enough air in her lungs again.

"You weren't wrong," Joanna said helplessly. "I wanted to tell you, so badly, you have to believe me." She tried to defend herself, but Max wasn't having it. This wasn't enough. A lame excuse like this wouldn't be enough. The Dutch Red Bull driver deserved more than this, they both knew that.

"Then why the fuck didn't you?" Max wanted to know, his temper still having a tight hold of him. "You had more than enough possibilities." He pointed out after a moment of silence.

She could have said something in Monaco after the race, as he held her while she was throwing up, she could have said something as he asked her to at least be friends, or as they slept with each other after the race or that day in the alley this weekend. By God, she could have called him to say it, or to ask him to come over for a talk. Max wouldn't have refused her. But she didn't. Joanna said no word and waited for him to figure it out on his own. And she had no apologies for that. She had no idea how to repair what she had just damaged once again. 

"I tried. I wanted to tell you in Monaco after the race, but only managed to mutter that you still had my gloves, I wanted to tell you as we had sex after the race, but all I did was tell you that I love you. I wanted to say something on Thursday but instead I talked about my mother." The Austrian explained a pleading tone audible in her voice, but all Max did was shaking his head bitterly, his lips pressed together tightly. Looking over at the from cars empty street.