Chapter 43

So, hello. I decided to post a new chapter. I hope you like it. Let me know what you think of the story so far!

-----------

Max woke up with pain in his neck. The angle he took his nap in was definitely not good, but he couldn't care less. There was no reason to be Red Bull's golden boy right now. He was at home, his sister and mother visiting him before he would have to fly out to Brasil. Max was one of the few race drivers, who actually flew home in the meanwhile, but he needed it. Max needed some time with his family. 

He needed his mum to pull him into hugs and cook him his favorite food and he needed his sister to joke around and he'll him to stop whining while he laid on the couch and cried his heart out due to his recent breakup. A breakup his sister nor his mother knew about, but they were always good to read between the lines. 

So, Victoria knew which woman had broken his heart before she had been with him for a whole day. According to his sister, it was clear that sooner or later he would try it with the beautiful Austrian, which in the end would only bring him a shattered heart. Max had said nothing to confirm his sister's inspection but he also said nothing to deny it. It was his mother, who had given Victoria a stern look, before telling her to leave her brother alone. 

Max watched his mom and sister from the corner of his eye. Victoria was determined to cheer her brother up but Max, just wanted to pity himself, laying on the couch and watching old cartoons while feeling loved by his family.

"I never thought I would see you like this," Victoria said as she flopped down on the sofa next to her brother, taking some popcorn out of the bowl, which caused Max to lift it away from her. Just because she was his sister didn't mean he would share his food with her.

She had tried to get him to talk about what had happened since she arrived at his apartment. His apartment, where he hadn't stayed in the last at least six months or so. It was strange to be back here. 

"Like what?" He asked grumpy, not paying any attention to the tv but also not paying very much attention to his sister. Sophie, on the other hand, knew what her daughter was about to say, which made her uneasy

Max was at home, in a place where he felt safe and secure. There was no reason to be guarded. Sophie didn't want Victoria to give Max a reason to be guarded around them. He had been with someone for a rather long time as it seemed and he hadn't mentioned his girlfriend to any of them, which said already enough of their family. His family saw his pain and they wanted to help him, they only wished Max would be a little bit more open with them.

"Heartbroken," Victoria said in a gentle voice. She didn't want her brother to be in pain and she swore herself that she would end Joanna Lauda first thing, would she ever have the chance to lay a finger on the Austrian for making her big brother suffer.

It was just one word, but it made Max's heart so much heavier. He wasn't heartbroken, not over anything, ever, but somehow Joanna might have just managed that.

"I'm not. I'm okay. Just tired. Long season you know." He said before he got up from the sofa to walk into the kitchen. Leaving his sister with a frown on her face behind. 

His feelings were all over the place and he had an even harder time than usual, to not act how he felt. Max didn't want to scream in anger until his threat would be raw, he didn't want to cry on the bathroom floor due to his frustration and sadness. He wanted it all to just be over. And he wanted Joanna back, but that was off-limits. 

Sophie watched her eldest struggling. Max was such a good child, he just had to endure so much of his father's hatred. Sometimes she feared he would end up like Jos, but Max had a good heart and a gentle soul hidden under his temper and all the anger. Jos not.