SEQUEL - Chapter 12

So. I know it had been a little bit longer this time but I have a good reason for that. I change the main plot, like the crazy person I am. I've already written a lot so I can update faster for you guys, but now I decided to change almost everything because I'm crazy but I said that before. However, I do promise that I have a plan. You will see. Hope you enjoy reading, nevertheless. Cheers!

<><><><><><><><><><>

18th June 2019 – FRANCE – FIA HQ PARIS

Looking down at the envelope on top of his messy desk, all Alain could do was huff in annoyance, even though it didn't surprise him. He had a feeling that that wasn't quite it as they buried Niki. That he still had one last ace up his sleeve. One grant finally before he would go out with a bang. Actually, thinking about it now, Alain had already waited for it. One last challenge Niki would throw in his daughters' way.

The irony that it was one simple letter, the last thing Niki Lauda left which would turn everything in his daughter's life upside-down didn't get past him. Or that the latter arrived now after Joanna finally came to terms with the fact that her father was truly gone. Now he was giving her another reason to resent a dead man, a man she had made peace with, not for his salvation but for her own soul to be at peace. Well, Niki always loved to test Joanna, to get a reaction out of her and make her let go of her hard-fought-for control. She was more like him when she let loose. These burning intelligent blue eyes and the harsh words. That was his daughter.

Alain had believed that this chapter of history was long closed, but apparently, it was time to look into some old stories, for Joanna. To make sure his goddaughter was safe and protected even after all these years she had looked out for herself. There were some things nobody could outrun. Wanting to prevent them forever was understandable, but not manageable.

Getting up from his seat, Alain took a few steps over to the windows will, to let his gaze wander over the busy streets of Paris before his eyes found the letter again. The last cruelty Niki left for his daughter. There was no other way to see it. Not of Alain, not for the man, who was there for the young Austrian whenever her father wasn't.

Closing his eyes for a moment in despair Alain hated Niki for making him tell Joanna. The Austrian already had enough daemons to fight. She didn't need the ghost of a dead man hunting her.

It was the sound of his office door opening that caused Alain to open his eyes again, only to see a certain beautiful and young Austrian leaning in the doorframe. She had grown up so much. He still remembered the little girl he had met decades ago.

A little bit shy but so curious. Joanna had been a delight to watch. A promising young talent in every aspect but it was her intelligent bright eyes that made her so unique even though they resampled her father so much.

"I just wanted to let you know that I'm leaving now." The Austrian said while checking her watch. Alain knew that the Austrian hadn't planned to come in this morning, but there were some things she had to take care of, so she put in some hours of work before she would take a day off to enjoy herself in Paris a little bit.

It was actually Alain, who had pushed her to do so since people started to believe that the Austrian had moved into the company with her constant presence in her own office or her father's. Even Alain started to worry, he knew Joanna properly better than most people on this plant but if he was wondering what she was doing, her office door always closed while working intensely on something which can't be the usual day to day business.

Nodding once, Alain took a seat again, his hands hovering over the letter. "I will meet you later for dinner."

He should tell her, but he couldn't. Not now. She had a race weekend up in front of her. There was still plenty of time after it after the French Grand Prix was over and Joanna would hopefully find some peace until her home race.