SEQUEL - Chapter 17

Hello, it's me again, but I guess you expected that. Anyways. I just wanted to say real quick that I'm sorry if I haven't answered some comments. The system isn't working properly every time and that troubles me. I want you to know that I appreciate it if you take the time to write a comment and I will react to it as often as I can, until then just know I'm thankful. About the chapter, I hope you like it. So, Cheers!

<><><>

24th June 2019 – AUSTRIA

Blankly staring at the ceiling in the gallery of her home Joanna didn't know what to think. There were so many things on her mind, but right now nothing seemed of importance. Sleep hadn't claimed her once again, but a dimming fog had settled over her mind, causing her limps to feel heavy and sluggish. All drive seemingly had left her body. Joanna had been thinking about getting up from the French baroque style chaiselongue to walk through the mansion which had once belonged to her father and ultimately settle in her bedroom again, but she didn't.

Soon she would learn if Diana was her mother. She would know if a further test was needed to clarify if she would end just like her, or if she would be alright but that wasn't the only part of her visit. The baby check-up tomorrow scared her on the same level as the possible need for a test for Morbus Parkinson which said a lot about Joanna and her history with pregnancies.

Truly, never before in her life was she so scared. The thought of just drinking herself into a coma and taking some pills sounded truly perfect, but she wouldn't. Joanna understood that she couldn't drink, she had sworn Max that she would take care of the baby and she intended to keep that promise. Still, she was a Lauda and pouring herself a drink just to look at the liquid and smell it would be fine.

Reaching behind the chaiselongue to get herself a drink, Joanna had decided to stay a while longer in the gallery to stare up at her ancestors. Her aunt, a terrible stern woman with no sense of humour if her father was to be believed or her grandfather, who shared his daughter's characteristics, only to be far worse. Niki had never talked fondly of him, or any one of the family actually. Just his own mother. 

Joanna was told that Niki had loved her very much, but he was disappointed with her lack of support for him. She never had her own opinion, always followed her husband's lead and thought of his words as the law, but she loved all her children with passion. Joanna was named after her. Johanna Elisabeth Lauda. She mostly only knew these people because of the butler, Adrian. He had told her stories as she had been allowed to visit during the summers in her childhood.

Maybe she could keep that family tradition and name the baby Elisabeth should they have a girl. Max would like a girl, Joanna thought with a small smile on her face. He would love any child, but a girl, she would have him wrapped around her tiny fingers before she would even be able to say a single word.

In her family, it was always the man, who named the children. Her great-grandfather held no love for his wife, so he named their daughter after his mistress which was quite a scandal and by God, Joanna will murder Max if he wants to call their daughter, should they ever have one, Kelly. But she will keep that tradition alive she thought. Joanna will let Max name their child, but they will carry her last name, as it was typical in Austria for an unmarried couple.

Starring at the biggest portraits of them all her great-great-grandfather was looking back at her. The butler had proudly told her that he had been a close friend of the Austrian Emperor which Joanna could believe or not. She wasn't so sure about it, but it gave the gallery a nostalgic aura. In this room, Joanna always felt as if she was a thousand years old and as if her family actually mattered.

Swirling the liquid around in the antique crystal glass, Joanna glanced up at the only empty space remaining in the room, right next to her father's portrait. The butler had said it was supposed to be her place once Niki presented her with the Lauda House, but Joanna wasn't sure she wanted a picture like this painted of her. These people were strangers, she didn't want to hang on a wall with all of them.