Boys don't cry

"I would tell you that I love you if I thought that you would stay but I know that it's no use, you've already gone away. Misjudged your limits, pushed you too far, took you for granted. I thought that you needed me more, more, more."

SIRIUS BLACK

Entering the common room, the warmth of the ever-burning fire breaks through the bitter chill of my body. James and the others decided to stay at the Hog's Head, where they are sure to do nothing but cause a ruckus and drink. I'm usually all for these days, the days we spend together. It's just not the same when two of the four marauders decide they don't want to come.

I unwrap my scarf from my neck and drape it over the side of the couch, along with my grey jacket that's still coated with half-melted snowflakes. With an exhausted sigh, I slump onto the comfortable sofa.

When I hear footsteps descending from the boys dormitory stairs I sit up a bit straighter. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding when I see Peter and his pointed ears at the send of the steps.

"Hey mate," I greet.

"Hey—" Peter yawns, "Where's everyone else?"

"Drinking I reckon," I raise a brow as I look at Pete's disheveled figure. "Tired?"

He nods as he rubs sleep from his eyes, "Just woke up from a nap. Feeling a bit hungry to be honest," His face lights up, "Wanna sneak into the kitchens with me?"

I let out a dry chuckle, "Sorry, i'm not up for all that right now, Pete. I came back to get some shut eye too,"

Peter scoffs, "Good luck with that, Moony's been whining in his sleep for the past hour. I couldn't take it anymore,"

And you didn't help him?

"Oh." I mutter.

I think I can hear Peter speaking to me, but his voice sounds millions of miles away.

I bite my nail, what the hell could be causing his nightmares again?

"Sirius?" Peter asks as he steps closer and waves his hand in front of my face.

"Huh? What?"

He stares into my eyes for a moment before looking to the floor, "Are you and Hawthrop... well, yanno,"

I look at him confused. "You're just gonna have to be straight with me, Wormtail. My minds a bit occupied at the moment,"

"Are you and Iris shagging or not?" He snaps. Pete's chest rises and falls rapidly with his uneven breathing.

I almost laugh at this transparent attempt at bravado. Since when has Pete had a temper?

"Yes...we are?" I trail off, still unsure about the point of this conversation.

Peter laughs under his breath while shaking his head lightly. "I think i'm gonna go to the kitchens now," He slides on his brown loafers that he always leaves near the portrait hole. Peter looks at me over his shoulder before he exits the common room, "I've never wanted anything Padfoot."

I don't dwell on what he said after i'm left alone.

By the time the portrait hole is swinging shut i'm halfway up the dormitory stairs.

All of the lights are switched off and the room is silent when I open the door. Taking a step in and shutting the door behind me, I immediately look to Remus. A habit that can never be broken, no matter the situation.