No other heart

"Well, for one, her heart belongs to another and no other heart will do."
_______________________

Cordelia,

I'll pretend I'm not offended I haven't received a visit in over a few months, because I'm sure that means you are doing well. Physically, at least. I heard the news and wanted to offer my condolences. I'm so sorry, Cordelia.

I noticed that your potions mark has been improving, I was very proud!

With that being said, it's been brought to my attention you may be in need of a hobby! Should you have any interest, I would like to offer you a temporary position in the Hospital Wing. You would be working closely at my side every other day of the week after lessons, assisting with antidotes and healing spells until graduation in a few months time. If you have not decided on your future hon, the time is now.

Please let me know by the end of this week.

Hope to be seeing you soon regardless.

Pomfrey.

"Soo? What?" Amos asks, finally looking up at me from across the stone marble table in the court yard as I finish reading aloud.

It's a rare day today.

It's not snowing or raining. There is no harsh wind or even a sharp breeze. It's sunny, bright outside and I can actually feel the warmth of the sun breaking through the bitter chill in my bones. The ground is still mushy from all the rain and snow and ice, but not a single soul cares; students fill the courtyard, playing on the grass and soaking up the unexpected, rare light.

The first sunny, warm day without Iris.

I don't see this as an omen. Don't think it's a sign from high above telling me it's okay to be okay now. Just see it as an unavoidable weather change. I just think i'm content enough to bare the intensity of the day now.

Rolling my eyes, "Soo, I'm going to be working with Pomfrey, idiot!" I reprimand.

Amos doesn't giggle or call me a dimwit like he usually would, he just strains a smile. That stupid damned, sad, strained smile. "That's awesome, Deails."

I would rather never see him smile again than look at this bullshit one for another second.

I look him over for the one hundredth time today, worrying. There are people who lighten up a room when they walk in. It has nothing to do with looks, money or even kindness (all of which Amos has though). It's just in their being. Some people are meant to just be happy forever, whether it's what they deserve or not. No other wizard in the world deserves as much happiness as Amos does; because no other wizard in the world gives as much happiness as Amos does.

My life is in shambles, sure.

I'm used to it, sure.

So I can allow myself to be pessimistic and dull.

But I will never allow that for him.

Because he's messy, but not a train wreck.

Because he knows sadness, but not well enough to be a good host.

Because he is not pessimistic nor dull, he is optimistic and filled with warm, golden light.

I sigh and grab his hand from across the table. "You're depressed, Amos."

Amos rips his hand from underneath mine, face screwing up in anger. "That's rich. You're depressed,"

"I—well, not as much as you!"