Never coming down

DAY NINE
DECEMBER 31st, 1978

"Let's raise your glasses to the best and to the worst, here's to the feeling that you just can't put to words."

"This is seriously the worst idea anyone's ever had in the history of the whole world," I gulp, staring down the Potter manor. Music and chatter pour outside from the open windows. I've never seen a house so large in my entire life, it's almost too grand. Almost.

Lily squeezes my hand. "Don't be so dramatic! You and Remus are dating, Sirius has finally started warming up to you and even James likes you! You're a regular part of the group now. Jury's still out on how Pete feels about you though," I can tell she's excited about this. James' new years party is the only thing she's been able to talk about for the last few days. I tried to get out of it, claiming I was still too tired from the full moon to attend. Unfortunately, she saw right through it. "Plus, Iris will be here too, you won't be the only Ravenclaw,"

Lily has been nothing but kind to me since we made up, I suppose the least I could do was act happy to party. It is somewhat of my brand after all. "You know what? You're right. Let's go,"

She grins and pulls me inside.

We enter and all I see are Gryfindors. Everywhere. Packed hallways and rooms, butterbeer cans and firewhiskey bottles set on every flat surface in sight. A stereo somewhere is blasting lively music, Lily drops my hand. "I'm going to find James, will you be alright?"

No. Please don't leave me.

I smile and nod, "Go ahead, don't worry about me. I'm sure i'll bump into Remus or Iris soon," She gives me a thankful smile and heads off, disappearing into the crowd.

I look around helplessly, meeting many familiar eyes belonging to people I've never spoken too. I fight my urge to drink, finding comfort against a wall in the living room. Soon, it was all a red haze.

The room had been lit neon red, with strobe lights dancing across the floor. It smelled of spliff and smoke from cigarettes and some charm created fog, not allowing you to see completely, but just enough. It was just a red haze.

"Hey Evans," a voice says from beside me, causing me to jump slightly.

It's Peter, holding a joint with red eyes and a goofy smile on his lips. I chuckle a bit, "Hello, Peter," He seems surprised by me using his first name, but I don't think it's an unpleasant shock. "How are you?"

"High," He giggles.

"Oh? Really? Couldn't even tell,"

Peter laughs again and stops abruptly as if he's just noticing what i'm doing for the first time. "Why aren't you having fun?"

"I am!" I lie quickly and defensively. He raises a brow and I sigh in defeat. "Party's aren't very fun when you seem to be the only one sober,"

He extends his hand to offer me the joint but I shake my head. "I won't tell if you don't," Peter says mischievously.

"Alright," I take the joint.

I continue taking hits and exhaling them, almost like that's what i'm programmed to do. My nerves relax and I feel like me again. It seemed like more and more people filed in as Peter babbled to me, and I didn't feel guilty for not listening as I scan the crowd.

Iris and I make eye contact from across the room and she rushes over to me. "Delia! You will never believe what the fuck happened this weekend!"

I hand the now almost-gone joint to Peter. "What?"