A different age

"And you could hurt me, but you wouldn't know what to say,"
___________________

REMUS LUPIN

"Does it have to be now? There's something I can't be late for, Ma'am," I'm trying my hardest to be polite, to be mindful, but it doesn't seem my professor is extending me the same curtesy.

With the full moon upcoming, my patience has been cut in half. Professor Sinatra has always prided herself on being punctual and I'm hoping she'll be sympathetic to my cause. Her dark eyebrows lace together in frustration, "This is the last time Venus will be visible in the daylight for twenty-five years, Mr. Lupin, so yes, it has to be now. If you had been listening when I was giving directions and not fooling around with Mr. Potter—"

"—Understood," I cut her off, taking my paper and turning on me heel. I leave the classroom, slamming the door behind me a bit harder than intended.

I huff. It's not even my fault I didn't hear the instructions. James gave me a wet willy while she was speaking, I had to retaliate. I'd almost accidentally shoved him off the Astronomy Tower in the process of trying to get him back.

If I can't see the planet in under five minutes, I'm just writing random scribbles on my paper. I can't be late to the first trial preparation, not when partly the reason I'm on trial is for being unpredictable.

The Astronomy Tower isn't a place I frequent outside of the actual class. Heights make me anxious.

I push open the heavy door and a warm breeze brushes past me as I squint against the sun. Upon first glance, I don't see any of the telescopes that are usually set out during lessons.

Great, I sigh.

Now I have to go through the whole process of readjusting the lenses and whatnot. I make my way over towards the area where benches are, hoping that's where all the telescopes have been put.

I almost scream upon seeing a figure dressed in all black sitting in the shade. His back is faced towards me but I'd know the hair from anywhere. Silky dark locks that only belong to those of the Black family.

I have just found Regulus Black.

What do I say?

What do I say?

What do I say?

"Are you looking for something?" he asks dryly, not turning to face me.

If I could hex without consequences, I would.

I can't take my eyes off of him. My jaw tenses and I notice my fists are balled at my side. "Telescopes," I say tightly.

Regulus tilts his head to the left, indicating that's where they are. I finally move my gaze away from his back, and sure enough, a group of telescopes are huddled in a corner.

I go and get one, not walking in front of his line of vision. Another judgemental glare is the last thing I need at the moment. I set it up, fighting against the urge to lunge at the younger boy.

I look through the telescopes. Take notes. Repeat. It's enough to keep my mind occupied off the tension on this tower. Not enough to distract me from his presence though. Every now and then I catch myself peeking at him through my peripheral vision.