Chapter 42

Vlad’s POV

As I stared down at the lifeless body in front of me, I felt no pity.  Traitors deserved what they got.   In our world loyalty was held above everything else, once that is broken it is never obtained again.   The young misled wolf trusted the wrong people and paid for it with his life.  

What a waste really, the boy didn’t know anything, other than giving us the names of the other men in the pack he was conspiring with, he didn’t know anything more than we already did.     Only the wolf in charge had those and I guess we would just have to wait until he made a move.   We didn’t want to tip our hand too early.  

Several days later, Knox and I were sitting in his office reviewing all the new plans for the property expansions.  Even with everything that was going on, it was exciting to witness the growth of a new era.    Sophia and Knox would make excellent Primes as well as King/Queen.   I just hoped we were strong enough to overcome the Council and especially her grandmother.  

I could tell Sophia still struggled with her newfound power and fought against it constantly.   But with every new member, she seemed to get stronger.   At times her old tentative nature would show, but only briefly.   Knox supported and encouraged her when she seemed to have reservations, giving her the push she needed to snap out of her self-doubt.

As Sophia predicted, each day new arrivals appeared at the gates, and the Queen welcomed them with open arms.   Knox just laughed it off and directed them to the new member center that was set up in the new lodge that was almost done.  

At this rate, Know wouldn’t need to defeat Alpha George in order to become Prime, at the pace he was increasing daily he would reach in by next week.   He accepted his fate and was anxious to stand with his mate and lead his people.   It was a true honor to be a part of it all. 

As for any news on the impending attack, we were still in waiting mode.   The three remaining traitors were closely watched and other than their request to have more patrol shifts, nothing was out of the ordinary.   Knox granted their request and thanked them for their dedication and loyalty to the pack.  

It was great to watch their faces wince in pain as they received praise from their Alpha, at least they still had a conscious. 

As for my contact with the enemy, I transported back home yesterday to take a call from him.   His plans were progressing and for us to just be prepared, he would attack with no warning.  My men were all in place…waiting.

Knox met with a member from each of the new species that have joined his pack.   They were to instruct their groups on the impending attacked plans.   The elves and gnomes spent the last few days making silver bows dipped in wolf bane, made from our resident witches.   One shot would render a wolf useless if it did not succeed in killing them.   I have to say those little guys were lethal, it was no surprise they lasted this long in hiding.  

Everyone that needed to be informed was ready and waiting.   Now all we needed to do was wait, something a Vampire King and Alpha were no very good at.   Patience were definitely not our strong suit if you know what I mean.