Chapter 14

Sophia's POV

Later that afternoon, after I had time to process all the shit that went down earlier, I was wondering why I wasn't shaking or having a hysterical breakdown? That was my usual M.O. I was definitely not a fighter.

I mean seriously, what the HELL was I thinking? I took a tree branch to a real wolf. A wolf with big teeth and sharp claws...a wolf that could eat me...oh my! I am a mother for Pete's sake.

In all the years Brian raised a hand to me, not once did I ever fight back. Why all of a sudden was I fighting back? It didn't make any sense to me. I have always been a very passive, quiet natured person, but now...it is just plain weird.

People just don't change their demeanor do they?

Each day it seemed that the fear that once consumed my entire being slowly evaporated. I no longer looked over my shoulder or jumped at the slightest noise?

Now things that once scared the living daylights out of me...just really, well quite frankly, pissed me off.

Since we have been back, Knox has been driving me crazy. Asking every few minutes if I was okay. YES! I was fine. The logical side of my brain kept reminding me that if I don't understand my personality change how is he?

We were now heading out to the common area where this morning's patrol group was waiting. Knox's hand gripped mine as we walked onto the patio.

There were at least 25 patrollers standing and waiting for their Alpha. All heads bowed once they spotted Knox.

I could also see large groups of people were starting to form along the common area, waiting to see what punishment was going to be dealt down.

Letting go of my hand he stepped forward. "Does someone want to tell me WHY THE FUCK 5 ROGUES MADE THEIR WAY THROUGH OUR LINES AND WERE NOT DETECTED BY ANY OF YOU?"

No one made any move to comment. Glancing to the left I noticed Alex and Jane standing slightly behind Knox's shoulder. Turning to survey the crowd, not a single person moved. Apparently that pissed Knox off even more.

"So not one of you is accepting the responsibility of failing to protect this pack. Is that what this is? That not a single one of you fail to see how your actions put the lives of not only your future Alpha, but your Luna and my daughter as well.

How you failed at the one thing you are trained to do...protect the Alpha family!"

If at all possible the heads of many sunk even lower. Knox paced up and down the raised patio as he looked at each member. When he was furthest away from me a voice whispered.

Technically she is not the Luna...

Knox's body froze as his piercing glare shot to the speaker.

As he took a step, I put up my hand to halt his progress. Oh no, this one was mine. The little prick. With the slight nod of his head, Knox allowed me to proceed.

I walked up until I was standing in front of the man, a man that was probably around 25.

"Would you care to repeat that for me?"

The man raised his yes and stared directly into mine, a clear sign of disrespect. "Yes, I said that technically since you have not mated...you are not our Luna."

I could feel the anger radiating off of Knox clear from the other side of the patio. Without looking to him I again held up my hand holding him off.

"So let me see if I have the correct. Even though he and his wolf agree that I am his mate and I agree I am his mate, that since I have not yet spread my legs and allowed him to fuck me, that I am not technically his mate yet and by association not this packs Luna, is that what you are saying."

The man's gaze started to waiver. "Umm..y-yes."

"Do you have a mate...and what is your name?"

"It's Craig and no I have not met my mate yet."

"Ahh...so here I have an unmated male, commenting on the validity of another's bond, a bond he has no knowledge of how it works, again do I have this right...Craig."

"Umm, not entirely. I know how the mate bond works. Most wolves are completely mated within 48 hours of finding each other because that bond is so strong, but our own Alpha has waited over a month and he has yet to claim you as his. So of course the pack is going to question the validity of your bond. No wolf can resist the mating bond, not even an Alpha."

Within 48 hours, really what a bunch of horny bastards...well I guess if I was a shifter as well it would be different, but I wasn't and I also had my past to deal with. A past that Knox kept private from majority of the pack, for my sake and that secret was causing him to lose the respect of his pack...well shit.

"So Craig, let me ask you a few questions. Say one day you come across your mate, but she is human. And as a human she has no clue as to your way of life, therefore does not understand your culture or even what the hell a mating bond is. To her she only knows that she feels a really strong attraction to you. So you're saying that you are just going to force this poor, unknowing human...and rape her? Because you don't want to appear weak amongst your pack?"

You could hear the crowd gasp. Rape was not something they took lightly. It was punishable by death.

"No. Of course not. But it wouldn't take me over a month to claim what is mine. As a man I have a right to take what is mine, and as her being my mate she would just have to accept that."

Well I can see we are dealing with an arrogant little prick who has no compassion for women, shifter or human. Well that is about to change.

"Okay, so let's say that your mate, this human girl, has not had the best past. This girl has spent the last 5 years of her life living in pure hell. Was married to a man who repeatedly beat and raped her on a daily basis. Belittled her and tore down any self-esteem that she had left. A man that threated to not only kill her but their daughter as well if she ever decided to leave him.

A women who even though she finally broke free and had three years of freedom still looked over her shoulder every day, terrified of her own shadow.

A women who one night found herself fighting for her life as this very man almost succeeded in not only killing her but his own child as well.

A woman who miraculously survived that nightmare and after she and the girl are released from the hospital they immediately flee, as the man got away and still hunting them.

A women who drove nonstop for over 24 hours in sheer agony, running for her life, finally calling upon a friend for help, and this is where you meet her. Broken, beaten, bruised, bleeding...

And you think that after everything this women has endured to get her and the child to a safe location, that since you are a man and she is your mate that it is your right to claim her. To take what is yours?"

The crowd was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Knox slowly made his way to my side, offering me his support. His eyes never leaving the man who was now slightly trembling.

"Let me answer for you Craig. Because if you were a real man and her true mate, you would understand the needs of your mate and you and your wolf would know that what she needed was time to heal. She would need your support while she recovered and took care of her daughter. That she needed your love and understanding, time for not only her body to heal, but her mind and heart as well. That is what a true mate would do. He would fight against any urges he may have for her sake. As it is your number one job as her mate to protect her, not claim her; that comes later, when she is ready."

Looking around, many of the women had tears running down their cheeks. If they had mates, their arms surrounded them. You can see the emotions on the faces of the men as they transitioned from understanding, to sorrow, to anger as they listened.

Dropping to his knees in front of me and tilting his head to the side, baring his neck. Craig submitted. "Please except my deepest apologies for my actions and disrespect. It was my part of patrol that allowed the rogues to slip through. I was following one trail and failed to call for back up as I believed I had the situation handled. I failed not only this pack, but my Alpha family as well. I am so sorry Luna."

Nodding my head, I stepped back into the arms of my mate. He leaned down and placed a kiss on the top of my head. Whispering into my ear, well done Luna...