Chapter 8

As I set her down on the bed, I knelt in front of her and took hold of her hands.   I am not sure if she realizes that for the past several minutes my hands have not left her body.   The contact had Rafe panting like a love sick puppy.  

“Listen Sophia…you need to get some sleep.   Both you and Ella are exhausted.  Just stay with me here tonight and let me hold you.   I will keep the monsters at bay so you can get some rest.   Please…I know you don’t understand our mating pull, but I need…you.    I need to keep you safe and it is killing me to not comfort you.   So please…just stay for one night.”

Looking up into her eyes I could see the emotions as she processed what I was asking.   Fear being the most prevalent one.  But as the seconds passed the fear dissipated and small tears began to fall.    I moved my hands to cup her face and gently wiped the tears away with my thumbs as they fell.   I promised her that she did not need to fear me.   I could never hurt her without hurting myself.   And that hopefully she would eventually understand that.  

With a quick nod, she leaned back and climbed into bed.   I ran around to the other sided and climbed in beside her.   After maneuvering around a bit, I finally settled behind her and gently curled my arm around her waist.   I was in heaven.  

“Can you explain to me more about the mating pull and why you have a second mate?”  She asked in a quiet voice.

“Well your mate is basically your other half.  Humans use the word soul mate.   Our souls, the center of who we are, recognize that we are mates.   Your mate completes you in every way.   They are cherished and held above all others in your eyes.   You would protect them with your last breath.   And like I said before, you cannot hurt your mate without hurting yourself.

A mated pair share everything including emotions and to a certain extent physical pain.   A mate can tell when the other is sad, scared or happy.   If a mate got hurt, the other would feel the same pain.    This connection joins them mind, body and soul.  

Because of this shifters are physically incapable of abusing their mates and to that extend their children.   It would be like abusing themselves.   That is the most important thing you need to understand.   You and Ella are safe with me…always.  Even though I know you won’t believe me, you have become the most important person to me.   My soul calls out to yours.   I know you feel it…that yearning to be near me…that is the pull.   It will never go away, even if you leave here.   Your soul has made that connection and it can never be broken, except in death.  

Now as for your second question.

As you know I have already had a mate but she refused to the change into a shifter.   The stress of birthing a shifter caused her death, it was too much for her body to handle.   She knew of the risk, but she couldn’t fully accept what I was.  She was deeply religious and apart of her rebelled our way of life.   We did love each other, but she struggled daily with holding apart of herself back.   She never fully committed her soul to me.   And that slowly weakened her both emotionally and physically. 

I have Noah as a reminder, and am thankful each and every day for him.   Since she never became a shifter nor did we fully mate as shifters, her death still hit me hard, but since that final connection was never established it was much easier to recover from.   Plus I had Noah to care for so that helped. 

Some do find a second-chance mate, but it is rare.   Some do find love and comfort in another shifter who has also lost their mate.    As for me being Alpha, well I am different.   An Alpha was meant to have a Luna by his side so we are more likely to find another mate.   You are mine.   The second I stepped foot in that hospital Rafe my wolf went crazy.   He was on edge the closer we got home and didn’t understand why, well that was until I stepped foot in that room.  

And you know the rest of that meeting.   Sophia, I know you are scared and afraid of men, but you don’t have to be afraid of me.   I will do anything to protect you and Ella.   I consider her my daughter now even though I have not made as much headway as Noah has.  I would like to raise her as my daughter and maybe even have a couple more if you’re willing.”

I tightened my arm around her waist, pulling her in more to my body, surrounding her with my love.   Her body shook a little as she cried, happy tears I hope, I was so out of my element with a women who had suffered as much as she has.  

Slowly turning her so that I could see her face, my thumbs erased the tears as they cascaded down her cheeks.   Cautiously I lowered my lips to place a small peck on her forehead.

“Shh baby, I have you now…you are safe where with me and my pack.” 

I continued to reassure her as I held her closer.   After a few minutes the cries ceased and a small hand cupped my cheek.   My skin tingled from the contact with her hand and I closed my eyes as I embraced the feeling.   

“Ok…Knox…I will give you a chance, but only one.   I don’t know if I will be able to…um…you know as for one thing I am still healing, but also because I am so damaged.   I don’t know if I will ever get over my past, but I am will to try…for you I am willing to try.   I do feel safe with you, I don’t know how, but I do.  When you are around I feel safer, warmer and more at ease.   So ok.   I will try…but please be patient.   We both me and Ella.”

I was so over joyed by her response that I hugged her just a bit too tightly cause her to squeal in protest.   After apologizing for my over excited reaction we settled in once again and peacefully drifted off to sleep.