Chapter 2

Jane’s POV

“SOPHIA!   Come on Soph, answer me.  Please.”   I screamed frantically.

 My husband Alex tightened his arm around me as I continued to scream into the phone.   Seconds’ later 3 warriors of our pack raced into our kitchen.   I could hear Alex relaying all the information and instructions and then calling our Alpha to let him know what was happening.   Alpha Knox was visiting another pack in South Dakota, but he liked to be kept informed on any emergencies.    He was not happy about sending warriors to help a human, but since he has heard about Sophia all these years from me, he considered her family and gave his blessing.   

 Oh god, Sophia what happened?   I knew she would never call me unless she was desperate and in trouble.  After she kicked me out of her life all those years ago, I assumed I would never hear from my best friend again.  

 Sophia and I were inseparable.   From Kindergarten to College we were there for each other.   Best friends from day one.   Both children of single mothers and being only children the bond formed early.   Her mom died our second year in school and my mom remarried and moved to Japan the following year.   We were all each other had.  

 After college, unfortunately we had to go our separate ways.   Grad school took Sophia to LA and an internship took me to Wyoming.   We still stayed in contact, texting, emailing, anything for about the first eight months.  

 Than Sophia met Brian and I met Alex.   The world of which I now live in was introduced to me when I met Alex, my mate, the Beta of the Lovell Pack.   I was mated and turned within the first month of meeting Alex.   He was my everything and he and this world consumed me.   The only thing that I have ever regretted was losing Sophia because of it all. 

 I was so enthralled with learning everything about being a shifter that my relationship with Sophia began to fade.   I had new friends and a new family.   Surrounded by a world I never know was possible.  

 I can only take blame for my end, but Sophia also began to pull away.   As much as my world consumed me, Brian consumed her.   The guy was such an ass.   I hated him from the first time I spoke with him.   He was such a controlling SOB, but Soph could not see it.  We began to argue and the strain on our bond grew.  

 They were married a year before they had Ella.   Alex and I headed down to LA to visit her and the new baby.   It was not good.   I could tell that even though she was ecstatic to be a mother, she was not happy.   Brian was such an ass that Alex had to hold be back from ripping out his throat.  

 On our last, Sophia and I had a huge fight while we were out for a walk.   He was abusing her and I confronted her about it.    She was trapped and didn’t want to leave.   No one would believe that Brian could abuse her.   He was an agent for the FBI, he upheld the law and outside of his home, everyone loved him.   He was a hero among his division, the golden boy, the best investigator they had.  

 The biggest mistake I had was telling her that I could not stand by and watch while she refused to leave him.   She told me to leave and never come back.  

 Alex and I left as soon as we got back to the house.   Brian flashed us a smug grin as we stormed around grabbing out things.   The bastard knew he won.   And I couldn’t do a damn thing about it.  Not with the risk of exposing our world to him.   So we left…that was 7 years ago.  

 What the hell has happened to her in those 7 years?   I wondered daily if I would ever see my best friend, my sister, ever again.  

 Abby, one of the warriors mate, took the phone from my hand.   The team was gathered up in the vehicles and ready to go.   From the brief information we had, she was in Cody, only about 2 hours away from her by car.   By wolf, about an hour.   Alex, myself and two of the warriors shifted and headed out.   The rest of the team had already left in the vehicles carrying the supplies.   We didn’t know what we were going to find.   I just prayed that she was still alive.