Chaper 4

Knox’s POV

Sometimes I absolutely hate the politics that come with being Alpha.  Don’t get me wrong, I love being Alpha, it’s just the politics that suck.   Visiting the Reynolds Pack in South Dakota always tried my patience.   Alpha Bruce was a great man and Alpha.   His pack was loyal and strong, it was just his incessant matchmaking that drove me crazy.   He pranced every eligible female in my path, hoping that one would be my second chance mate.   It was uncommon to have a second chance mate, unless you were an Alpha.   The fates always ensured that a Luna stood by an Alpha.   But I didn’t want one.

My first mate Kelly died 9 years ago during child birth, she did not want to be changed and the stress of birthing a shifter was too much.   My son however did survive.   Noah was now a healthy and feisty growing boy.   He is a full shifter and should receive his wolf once he hits puberty. 

I was so thankful that the moon goddess spared his life, giving me something to hold on to.   The death of a mate causes most wolves to take their own lives, the pain of having part of your soul torn in half was too much to handle, unless there were children left behind.  

In most cases, the children were what kept the surviving parent alive.   Noah kept me alive.   He was all that I needed and I was content with that.   Rafe my wolf was also content, he did not yearn for a new mate, he put all his energy in caring for our pup.

After a week of having all the women pranced in front of me, I had had enough.   And since our business was concluded, my men, including Noah were packing up to head back home.  I was anxious to see how Sophie and Ella were doing, even though I received daily updates.   The day we left was when Alex contacted me to inform me of the situation.   We usually stay out of human problems, but since I was aware of who Sophia was, due to all the talks Jane and I have had over the years, I allowed them to help. 

Jane has become like a sister to me and I loved her like one.   Helping her out with the only person she considered family for the first 24 years of her life was the least I could do.   After hearing about the condition they were found in, my wolf and I we glad we allowed them to find her.

The little girl Ella, still has yet to talk and does not leave her mother’s room.   She apparently spends her days watching TV, reading or drawing.   But other than a few nods of the head, she does not communicate with anyone.   My wolf is quite anxious to get to her.   The thought of hurting a child is unthinkable.   All Rafe wants to do is to protect and nurture her.   If I didn’t feel the same way I would tease him of his mother hen tendencies.    

Looking out the window, I watch the scenery go by as I wonder how I can help them?   It was a part of my DNA to protect those weaker than me, and these two definitely fall into that category.    My wolf is on edge and he is becoming more agitated the closer to home we get.

Rafe, what is bugging you?   You need to calm down.  You are driving me crazy with all your pacing and your emotions are all over the place.  What gives?

I am not sure Knox…for some reason it has been building all week that we need to be home.   I don’t know what the reason behind it is, I just sense that I need to be home.  

Okay, calm down.   I am on edge too, by tomorrow morning we will be there and we will figure this out.   I promise. 

 As my wolf began to relax enough for me to think, I tried to determine what the problems could be causing our situation, but the only thing that came to mind were our new residents.  

I wondered what they looked like.   How badly were they beaten?   Their healing is slow due to the fact they are human.   Only if Sophia was someone’s mate, then their blood could be administered to her to help speed up the healing process.   But according to Alex all the available men had confirmed that she was not their mate.   For some reason, Rafe was quite happy with that.  

Sophia was still unconscious.   Due to the severity of her injuries we were amazed that she was able to drive all the way from LA and with a small child in tow.   Doc Murphy said she is resting peacefully and her bruises are starting to fade and her cuts were healing nicely.   No infection.     Only time will heal her shoulder, arm, ribs and ankle.   Doc said that she could wake at any time, once the body has had the time to heal more.      

Well putting off thinking about this situation anymore, I grabbed my briefcase and started catching up on pack business I brought with me.   Noah sat quietly next to me playing on his iPod.   I swear that thing is glued to his hand.   Oh the joys of technology and youngsters.   Leaning over I give him a kiss on the head before I dive in to my work.   He growls at me before swatting his hand my way.   Laughing, I kiss him once more just for the hell of it.